PDA

View Full Version : Britax advantage or roundabout?

triangle
08-13-2001, 10:41 PM
Between the Britax advantage and the roundabout - which do you prefer? I was wondering if the children would find the advantage more confining in the head area and therefore prefer the roundabout. What are your experiences?

tobymc
08-14-2001, 08:47 AM
I've got both seats, and here are some of the differences.

Basically, they are the same seat. They have the same shell, and most of the same features.

The Britax Advantage (BA lets call it) has a head rest that moves up and down by turning a knob. The lowest position and the highest position are the same as the bottom and top slots on the regular RA.

The advantages of this feature are several fold. First, you can adjust the harness to be AT your child's shoulder, all the time. No more guessing if you should use the slot above or below your child's shoulders. No more re-threading to change slots. You may need to rethread one day, but only to remove the cover and/or harness for washing.

I also find this feature very helpful when I transport other children in my car. Again, no more threading. I just twist the knob (a lot of times) and can change the harness to a much lower position.

The head rest that moves with the harness does not seem to bother my son at all. It has another advantage - the head rest sticks up an inch or two above the shell when in its highest position. So it actually makes the seat taller. This may make the seat fit your child longer, and may not. But I like that added protection.

So I'd say that I still love my RA. The BA has all the great things of the RA, with a couple added features. Is it worth the extra money? That depends on your budget.

Oh, one downside of the BA right now is that it only comes in the Marina fabric. It is a very soft plush that is a steel gray. My son has been choosing the Marina BA over his favored Big Cat RA, so it has his vote. But there are lots of cute covers for the RA.

Toby