PDA

View Full Version : 2nd car seat for Grandma

triangle
08-13-2001, 10:42 PM
Which convertable car seat would you recomend as a 2nd car seat for the grandmother?

tobymc
08-14-2001, 08:55 AM
It all depends on what you want.

To some extent, if you have one Britax Roundabout or Advantage (which I'm guessing from your other post you are considering), then you might want another in Grandma's car. I find that, after an initial learning curve, the RA has more fool proof operation. So I put ours in the car with the least detail oriented drivers. That way, even when I'm not there, there is a greater chance that the harness is tight enough, and the straps lay flat, and so on. So if you have concerns about Grandma using the seat correctly, you may want to do this also.

However, most people opt for a cheaper seat for the "backup" car or cars. The idea is that this seat isn't used as often, so taking a little extra time to make sure the seat is being used right is worth paying less.

The cheapest 5 pt. convertible with a high rear facing weight limit is the Cosco Touriva, commonly found at Kmart for about $45. I use one for my son in my car. It is a good, cheap seat, but it definitely takes some more attention to get the straps tight and flat, and get the tether (when forward facing) properly adjusted, and the belt system tight on my older car (I need a metal locking clip). It also comes with a very cheap pad. You can buy this same seat with a nicer pad as the Cosco Eddie Bauer convertible for about $80 or as the Cosco Triad (which has the latch attachments) also for about $80.

The next cheapest seat that meets those criteria is the Century Accel. A lot of folks like this one better than the Touriva. I think it has a nicer pad. You can often find it at Babies R Us or Toys R Us.

I hope this helps you make this hard decision.

Toby

auntkath
08-16-2001, 11:28 AM
Dear Triangle,

I am a grandmother of a beautiful 2yr old little girl. I purchased the Britax Freeway Plus when she was ready for a forward facing car seat. It was a little pricey...but she is certainly worth every penny!

Young couples are on a budget, I know...but, you can't put a price on safety. That one time she is in the second car seat could be "The Time" that she would most need a reliable car seat.

Check out the Britax Roundabout that Toby recommends. This is a great company...Although my experience is with the Freeway Plus, I have read great things about the roundabout. Maybe Grandma would consider purchasing it for the baby's Christmas gift.

I cannot tell you how happy I have been with the Britax Freeway Plus. It is a beautiful seat, the fit is rock solid in my 1999 Honda Accord EX (I had a tether anchor installed), and easy to use...which is very important. I also have great piece of mind knowing that this seat is so well made and highly rated.

FYI - I have just purchased the Britax Super Elite. I have been on a waiting list for quite some time. It is a wonderful seat and will take her to eighty pounds. I was so impressed that I am on another waiting list so that I may purchase one for my daughter.

sarsah
08-22-2001, 10:45 PM
For my primary car seat, I have a Britax Roundabout. My back-up seat is a Britax Freeway. I held out until my son was 1 year old (he was 22 lbs before that) to get a second seat. Both of the Britax seats I bought on sale, so I didn't pay full price for either of them, but even at full price I'd say they are worth it.

The thing I like about having similar seats is that there is no confusion when installing them. I can not say enough good things about Britax too.

Sarah.....