PDA

View Full Version : Need info on Infant/Toddler Carseats. Best, worst, pricing, etc.

chicpea73
08-14-2001, 01:49 PM
We are in the process of looking for an infant/toddler carseat for our first child due 12/3/01. I thought that carseats weren't so complicated, but I've heard that I will have to try different types in each car we own. The problem is, we are in the process of selling my car and buying a larger one. So, all we have right now is our old 1990 Dodge Caravan.

Will we have to buy two different types of carseats?
Is it true that each seat must be tried out, first?
What are the best? I've heard Graco is. The worst?
We are looking to spend $100 and under for the carseat, any suggestions?

Thanks!
Shannon

lwong
08-14-2001, 09:53 PM
You really ought to read what Denise & Alan Fields have to say about carseats in their Baby Bargains book. It'll answer your questions for you.

tobymc
08-20-2001, 12:53 PM
If your baby is not due until December, and you are about to buy a new car, then you might want to postpone buying your carseat for a couple of months. If you will be buying a new car AFTER the baby is born, then you can go ahead and buy a carseat now that fits the car you've got.

If you have some idea of what kind of car you'll be buying next, you can try using my database, www.carseatdata.org, to find a seat that will fit both your current car, and the new one. Carseats DO fit, more often than they don't fit, but it is really frustrating to buy a new car, only to find out that you also have to buy a new carseat.

For your new baby, you might want to consider the Graco Snugride or the Century Avanta EX. Both seats can have the 5 point harnesses, have front adjusters, and tend to fit well. The new Evenflo infant seat may also be a nice choice when it comes out in late September.

If you decide to go with a convertible seat (less convenient at first, and won't fit the new baby as well, but you'll need one anyway eventually) then the choice is not as clear. The Britax Roundabout (and Advantage) have lots of great features, but are expensive. The Fisher Price Safe Embrace used to be the middle choice, with some features and a nicer price tag, but it isn't being made anymore. Among the other $80 to $120 seats, none stand out as particularly great to me. Make sure to find one that has a 5 point harness (not an overhead bar), fits well in your car (see above), and is easy for you to adjust even when it is installed in the car. There will be a nice convertible coming from Evenflo in late September also.

So you may well want to wait a few months to decide on your carseat, since new seats usually come out for the JPMA conference in September, and also for your new car.

Good luck.

Toby, CPS tech