PDA

View Full Version : convertible carseats

aunt83me02
08-20-2001, 10:43 PM
I have been asked to recommend a convertible carseat to a person I do not know. I don't know their financial status or what kind of car they own(for compatibility). I was thinking of recommending the Roundabout #1, the Cosco Triad #2 and the Century Accel DX #3. This will be their primary seat. I am basing this off of my personal experience, what I've heard from others and the Consumer Reports crash test. They all meet the criteria of 5-point, front harness adjuster and 2-piece harness retainer. The baby was born in March and is outgrowing his infant seat. If they can't afford the Roundabout, does everyone agree with my other suggestions? I'd appreciate the input. The cheapest I've seen the Roundabout is $169.95 on babycatalog.com, the cosco triad on babybazaar.com for $89.95, and the Century Accel DX on Babydepot.com for $69.99. They live in the Martha's Vineyard area so if anyone knows any good stores around there too... Thanks!

tobymc
08-21-2001, 10:23 AM
Sounds like good options.

If I don't know much about the situation, like you, then I do like to give one cheap seat, one middle priced seat, and one full-featured, expensive seat.

I tend to mention the Cosco Touriva as the cheapest seat. For some parents, the $45 price tag helps them move to a new seat instead of a garage sale seat. It is a more frustrating seat to use (in my experience) than some of the more expensive ones, but it is light and narrow, which is sometimes important. The Cosco Triad is the same shell, with a nicer pad, and the LATCH attachments.

The Century Accel is a nice choice. It is a little more expensive than the Touriva (try babies r us, or TRU to see if you can find one for more like $60) but it has a nicer cover and overall seems a tad nicer.

I don't have a good middle choice right now. None of the middle choices seem to stand out, except the Cosco Alpha Omega, since it converts to a booster.

And then there is the Britax RA. Definitely a good choice if the parents have the money.

So I'd say you are right on track.

Toby

mrsvandergrijn
08-21-2001, 02:01 PM
I absolutely love the Britax Roundabout---but if they don't need a convertible they can get the Britax Freeway which is not and is a little less expensive. I have one of each since I purchased a second one a few months later for a second car. One item that people never seem to mention is washability and durability. I have the Freeway and Roundabout is good ol' plain denim. After 2 years, these still look new---after many spills and crushed food because they clean so well. The webbing is also able to be taken off and washed. It's sad to see the state of some people's car seats (all I can think is that they sit their child in that?)

Another plus on the Freeway---it's FAA approved. Teamed with a carrier bag from The Right Start ours has been on a few domestic trips as well as to Europe. Did I mention that Britax meets EC standards too?

This seat can easily be used by subsequent children---our second son will be ready for this seat soon (his brother will go to the booster---I need to go read up on those although Britax has my loyality vote to start)---and that's what really saves money when you have children.

Cheers,
Shari