PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Secondary Carseat Please!

ChelleR
08-23-2001, 02:37 PM
Hi!

I need help selecting a secondary carseat as our son (6 months) is about ready to outgrow his infant seat.

Our primary car is a 1999 Chevy Tahoe and we have already decided to go with the Britax Roundabout or Roundabout Advantage. However, I am having a tough time selecting a car seat to use in my husband's truck - a 1991 Chevy Silverado. The only time my son will be in this seat is when my husband picks him up from Grandma in the afternoons...approximately 1 mile. So I really don't know if it's necessary to spend $200 on an additional RA. I have read the reviews in Baby Bargains and still can't decide.

I have thought about the Fisher Price Safe Embrace II (assuming I can even find one)or the Evenflo Medallion V XL (concerned about the D+ rating).

Are there any other choices? What's the difference between the Medallion V and the Medallion V XL? What about any of the Century convertibles?

Since our son needs to remain rear facing for at least 6 more months, it's obviously important to us to find a rear facing seat that will fit in the front seat of a pick-up (no airbags).

Any suggestions, input and comments would be greatly appreciated!

Best wishes,
Michelle

tobymc
08-24-2001, 09:11 AM
How about a Century Accel? It is a low end seat, but has a nicish cover. It rear faces to 30 pounds.

Like all lower end seats (or all non-Britax seats!) it take a little more effort to get the straps adjusted and tightened correctly. The straps do twist, and the harness adjuster is harder to tighten. In a 1991 you will need to use a metal locking clip instead of the built in lock offs of the RA. It only tethers forward facing.

However, it is a fine seat that apparently performs well. It usually runs about $60 at BRU or TRU.

The other cheap seat is the Cosco Touriva, which usually runs about $45 at Kmart. It also works well with some extra attention. The cover isn't as nice as the Accel, but this seat is light and narrow, which I find useful for travel. The tether on the Cosco is a real pain to use, but very effective once you get it tight, though of course it also can only be used forward facing.

With the FPSE (around $99), you will get the no-twist straps, and built in lock-offs. It is a nice wide seat with a steel frame, but is also heavier than these cheapers seats. The current version has a pretty thin pad, but it does have some eps foam under the pad. It also has lower top harness slots than these cheapers seats, which may mean your son will outgrow it a bit quicker. And it is hard to find right now. But if you can find one, it is a good choice.

In my opinion, you don't get a whole lot when you move to the Medallion (over the cheaper seats) except a nicer pad. So that part of the choice is up to you.

Toby

Gary
08-26-2001, 05:57 PM
i'm of the view the babyseat is one of the few places not to skimp - after reading people's comments, consumer reports reviews, etc., i think the britax roundabout is the way to go - i originally thought the alpha omega, but consumers didn't like it as a booster...for the piece of mind, i say go for the roundabout and perhaps skimp on a couple of dinners out... :)

auntkath
09-06-2001, 11:20 PM
I am a grandmother of a 2 year old. I cannot agree more with Gary's message. Britax is a great company with a quality product. I am so grateful for these message boards. I would never have known about Britax if it were not for them.

I purchased the Britax Freeway Plus for our grandchild last year after monitoring many message boards and advice from Toby and Alan & Denise Fields. It fits rock solid in my car and is easy to use...which is extremely important for someone that is using it once or twice a week. My grandchild willingly gets in her seat and neither of us are ever frustrated or upset.

I think the piece of mind, together with the ease of use more than warrants the additional investment. I'm sure your husband will also appreciate "No Hassle" when he puts the baby in the seat after a long day at work.

Additional note: I have recently purchased the Super Elite and am very happy with it. We owe it to our children to keep them as safe as possible. Go with Britax...I don't think you will ever regret your decision.

auntkath
09-07-2001, 12:24 AM
I just checked some websites...BabyCatalog.com has the Freeway Plus for $149.85...with free UPS ground shipping. Hope this helps.