PDA

View Full Version : Infant Seat w/Base recommendations

dschwartz69
08-28-2001, 01:47 PM
Hello, my wife and I are expecting our first 1/2002 and are looking into which infant seat to purchase. We are looking for one that has a base to stay in the vehicle (we will be purchasing a separate stroller that can accept infant seats, probably Peg or Combi).

We are also interested in hearing about any recommendations you might have regarding fit and usage in our specific vehicle (01 Land Rover Discovery).

Ideally, the infant seat itself would not be too heavy (my wife is rather small) and one that easily attaches/detaches to/from the base so as not to wake a sleeping baby when travelling.

Thanks,

David.

Louler
08-28-2001, 02:19 PM
We have the Century Avanta. It fits perfectly in our volvo station wagon and our BMW suv. It's extremely easy to get in and out of the car, and our son seems very comfortable in it. We have a combi smart-fit system which works with the avanta. I don't know how we would have survived without these two items. Where ever we go we just pop his car seat out of the car and snapp it into the combi. The combi is light and fairly compact. Also the avanta snaps into shopping carts.

Good luck with your search.

dschwartz69
08-28-2001, 02:42 PM
I've heard others mention that they found the Avanta carrier to be a bit heavy. Do you find it heavy to carry or is it not too bad?

David.

Louler
08-28-2001, 04:39 PM
Now that my gargantuan son is a whopping 20 pounds at 6 months, I find it a bit heavy. He has just about outgrown it as far as it's weight limit. I go to a playgoup with lots of other mothers, and most think my Avanta is lighter. I think that the seats that have bases are heavier in general. The Britax was as light as a feather, but there is no way I'd give up the convenience of the base. When we travel in other cars without the base. it's a pain in the butt!! Especially if you're putting the baby in the middle as recommended. I would buy this seat again. Definitely not too heavy.

Happy hunting.