PDA

View Full Version : Britax Safety Ratings

prosenbe
09-04-2001, 09:04 AM
Does anyone know if Britax tests their car seats at a higher rate of speed then consumer reports does (30 mph)? Since Britax is a European company, I heard that they have to meet European Safety standards, which involves testing the car seats at a high rate of speed.

tobymc
09-04-2001, 12:23 PM
I don't know.

I understand that the RA meets all the ECE regulations that are not contradictory to the US regulations. So the US version has a harness retainer clip because it is required here, whereas in Europe they require just one attachment point. So the European version would pass the ECE tests, and it is very similar to the US version.

I do want to note that the 28.5 mph (federal standards) and 30 mph (CU tests) tests sound like low impact crashes, but they really aren't. They are crashes into rigid barriers. They are similar to 60-70 mph crashes into another car, where the car will give some (or a lot). I was very concerned about those "low speeds" when I first read about the testing.

Apparently the Britax products peform very well in real world crashes as well. That is the feedback I've heard from parents who were using the seats in crashes, as well as what the company says.

You could also call or e-mail Britax and ask them.

Toby, CPS tech

alandenisefields
09-04-2001, 09:15 PM
I think we are to blame for some of this confusion. In an earlier edition of our book, we stated that Britax US seats meet European safety standards. BUT, that is not correct---the Britax seats made and sold here in the US are designed and developed for US standards; the Britax seats sold in Europe are different.

Bottom line: they are great seats and in the real world, they offer excellent crash protection in our opinion (based on our research).

Alan & Denise Fields, Authors
BABY BARGAINS

prosenbe
09-05-2001, 10:20 AM
Thanks for your quick response. My next question is:

We are trying to decide if we should buy the Britax car seat or the Century 1000 (which was rated higher by Consumer Reports) for our 6-month-old twins. I'm really ONLY interested in crash safety (vs. bells & whistles). If we don't use a teather for the rear-facing position, Consumers rates the Century higher for crash protection.

Thanks again!!

laclark
09-07-2001, 09:15 AM
Well I'm hoping Toby will answer this one as she is definitely more qualified to answer this than me.

However I'm sure one thing she will tell you is that the best car seat is one that fits well in your vehicle, is right for your childs' age, weight and maturity and that you will use correctly each and every time.

Now you say you are only interested in crash protection. Note: how well a seat does in a crash relates to how well the seat is used. Bells and whistles won't help IF you don't use the seat properly but trust me they very much make seats easier to use each and every time (at least with the RA). With twins you are going to be even more pressed for time than the average person. The Century 1000 seats are difficult to use in the rear facing position because the belt path for the seat belt requires that the belt will go OVER the child's legs. Very akward to put a child in that way. Also the Century 1000 only rear faces to 22lbs. Children need to remain rear facing until at least 1yr and 20lbs, preferably even longer (see link below). If your children go over 22lbs before 1yr you will need a different seat to keep them rear facing. Also if your twins were born earlier than 37 weeks than they will need to be kept rear facing even longer than their birthday (adjusted age).

Here's the link about rear facing (AAP)

http://www.aap.org/family/famshop.htm
(see under convertible seats)

Here's a link to a post I wrote about how much I like my RA

http://boards2.parentsplace.com/messages/get/ppcarseats295/1/3.html

Best thing to do is try them both in your vehicle(s) and see how they fit, how they are to install and how the harnesses adjust.

Laurie ([email protected])

tobymc
09-07-2001, 03:34 PM
I agree totally with Laurie.

The best seat is the one that fits your car, your children, and that you will use correctly each and every time.

So you may want to try both seats in your car. It may take some time to get both installed right, but it is well worth the time. Do use the D-ring to tether the RA, or tether it Australian style to the anchors behind the seat. The rear facing tether on the RA is not very difficult to use (once you figure it out) and makes a tremendous difference in stability and angle, and real world crash protection.

Try the harness adjuster on both seats. Check out how easy it is to install your babies into the Century 1000 vs. the RA. I find that rear facing belt path on the Century 1000 really frustrating because it is over the child's legs. So you either have to scoot the child under the belt, or buckle it with them in it.

Take a look at your babies' growth potential too. As Laurie said, this seat only rear faces to 22 pounds. Your babies may not exceed 22 pounds by 12 months, but with a seat that rear faces up to 30 or 35 pounds, they can stay rear facing that much longer.

I suspect that you are going to find that the bells and whistles, as Laurie said, are going to make a huge difference in your ability to use the seat correctly every time. Sure, the cool cover and belly pad are not really necessary. But the harness adjuster that moves easily every time makes it SO much easier to keep the harness tight every day, even during the winter. And the no-twist straps are a lot more likely to be flat (and safe) than the kind that twist when you look at them. The rear facing tether increases the stability considerably, and may mean you don't need to add towels or noodles to get the proper rear facing angle.

But I want to be very clear that the Century 1000 is a great seat. It has been around a long time, and it has protected many, many children. It still performs quite well, even with today's stricter standards. And with some extra work and attention on your part, it can do a good job of protecting your twins.

If you decide to go with the RA, I do strongly recommend using the tether. And you might want to check now to see if you have proper tether anchors for when the babies go forward facing. Getting tethers installed by your car dealer can take some time (for the parts to get ordered, making appointments, getting them installed, etc.). You may even already have anchors. You'll want to be able to use them forward facing also, with either seat.

As you can guess, I'm clearly biased toward the Britax product. I've used MANY carseats, and with the RA I feel that I have a seat that is easy to use right AND very safe. Actually, I put the RA in my partner's car. I know that as a tech, I'm likely to pay attention to details every time I use a seat. So I often use one of the cheap seats in my car. She's much less detail oriented. With the RA, I worry less when I'm at work! So different seats have different best uses.

Happy shopping.

Toby, CPS tech