PDA

View Full Version : Convertible car seat for 1991 Honda Wagon

JeanS
09-04-2001, 08:17 PM
Does anyone have any information about convertible car seats that might fit in my 1991 Honda Accord Wagon? The bucket-style seats present a challenge to getting a really snug fit. The owner's manual describes a "top tether" system for securing a seat. My almost 6-month old son is soon to outgrow his infant seat. Thanks.

tobymc
09-05-2001, 08:10 AM
You might want to try the Britax Roundabout, which offers the rear facing tether. That tends to help with difficult installations, but is still no substitute for a tight install right at the belt path.

Cheaper options might be the Century Accel or the Cosco Touriva.

I would recommend trying different seats in your car. Then buy the one you think is best and head right to a permanent fitting station to get a tech to check it out.

Did you see all the entries in my database about similar cars to yours? www.carseatdata.org.

Toby, CPS tech

JeanS
09-11-2001, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the info Toby. I had a couple of more questions. In addition to the back seats in my car being sort of bucket like, there is a fairly steep slant to them. Any ideas about this? The website you suggested offered conflicting info. I also don't know Honda Accords are similar from year to year in terms of their interiors.

Finally, I think it is a good idea to try out different seats. Do you know of any retailers who allow you to try before you buy? Or does one have to buy several seats them try to return them? Suggestions?

tobymc
09-11-2001, 11:22 AM
Bucket seats can definitely make for difficult installations. Try a rolled towel, or a section of foam pool noodle, right at the seat bight. That helps to level out the seat, to keep that 30 to 45 degree angle that rear facing children need (little babies need a full 45 degrees).

I've found that Babies R Us will let you try seats. TRU may let you also. Baby Specialty stores like the Right Start Store also usually allow it. Target and Kmart often have the seats attached to the display. See if you can find a vendor that does let you try them. Burlington Coat Factory may also be an option.

Once you decide on a seat that seems likely to fit well, do take it to a technician to get final instruction and fit help. It is time very well spent.

Good luck.

Toby