PDA

View Full Version : Tote 'n Go Portable Car Seat in NYC

JJmom
11-19-2002, 12:39 PM
THis question is probably for Toby.

I live in Manhattan and was wondering about the Tote 'n Go Portable Car Seat (seen in One Step Ahead) for taxi rides. Is it THAT difficult to install? I have read the other postings about it and know it is not the ideal car seat, but in NYC it is impossible to lug around a convertible car seat and ask a taxi driver to wait a moment while you install it for a 10 minute car ride.

Currently we use our Bjorn (as recommended by numerous pediatricians I've spoken with, quote, "what else can you do?" ) for short trips. The Tote n Go would be a safer alternative? We do have a Century Accell 5 pt harness which we use when we rent a car and travel (works great, recommended by Toby a few months ago:) ). My son is 1 yr old and just hitting 25 lbs.

Thanks for any advice anyone can give.

tobymc
11-19-2002, 01:46 PM
Did you see my review of that thing at www.carseatdata.org/tng.html?

I say that it is better than nothing, and a Bjorn is pretty close to nothing. So yes, I'd have to say that this is better.

As long as you are so far from ideal (which I uderstand, I really do), you might try to find a Britax Laptop. It is certainly bigger than the travel vest, but not all that much. It could easily be carried in a backpack, or a large stroller basket. It is designed for kids from 30 to 65 pounds, which is why I can't say it is perfect for you. It isn't. But between a Tote 'n Go and a Laptop for a too small child, I'd go with the Laptop. And if you want that, leap on it. They aren't being made anymore and are getting pretty hard to find. Try calling your local baby specialty store, or Right Start Store. One really good reason to go with the Laptop instead is that it is really easy to use, and to transfer between cars. You just put it over the child, wrap the belt (lap or lap/shoulder) over and slide it into the slit across the front. No locking clips needed ever.

Of course, another good option for you is the Safeline Sit'n'Stroll. I can recommend that with good conscious, because it is a convertible. It is also a stroller. So you push it around town, hail a taxi, pick it up and retract the wheels into the base and push the handle down, then wrap the belt around the front. It is difficult to get a really tight fit, but it IS designed for your kind of need, and it is rated for your child.

JJmom
11-19-2002, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the alternatives Toby. I will try to find a Laptop, as I have a Maclaren stroller, which is easier to carry down to the subway than a Sit'n'Stroll (oh, the travel habits of NYC parents without cars:) ). I saw some of the photos on Car Seat Data and depending on the car, doesn't look too secure!

Thanks again for all your help;) .