PDA

View Full Version : RA or Marathon for big baby

cdlamis
11-24-2002, 09:25 PM
I know I have seen this answered on another post but can't find it
My daughter is 20 lbs and 5 1/2 months old. I am looking at the Britax RA or Marathon. Which is the best choice in the long run for a big baby? She is in the 95th percentile for both height and weight.

I know the Marathon will last until she is 65 lbs but by that time I will have a second child that will need this convert. seat so I will have to buy a booster anyway, right? I can't think that far ahead!!
Thanks,
Daniella

KCR4
11-25-2002, 09:03 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with either choice, but I would lean towards the Marathon. But it would depend on when baby #2 arrives and how big/heavy your older child is at that point. And another thing, lots of people buy more than one convertible seat by then anyway... :) Our son is 16 months and 24 lbs and we have bought two Britax seats for him (started out with one, then "couldn't live" without another for DH's car), and I suspect I'll go buy the Marathon when we get ready for baby #2. Oh, and we also bought a cheaper Century convertible for Grandma's car. So that is three seats so far! But he will be in the Roundabout for a while yet. Anyway, my advice for what it is worth is buy the Marathon if it fits well in your car. Or, plan to buy the Roundabout for now and the Marathon later. I just posted to another strand that Right Start has non-LATCH Roundabouts for $159 which is a GREAT deal. At my local store, they are urging customers to buy one LATCH seat (ie the Roundabout, Advantage, or Marathon) and one non-LATCH seat for the "bargain" price, knowing many people have only one LATCH-compatible car at this point in time. The saleslady told me that they are really convincing a fair number of customers and making those double sales! Well, either way, you are getting a great seat...
Check out these sites if you haven't already:
www.CarSeatData.org
www.CPSafety.com
And for photos of Britax seats installed and tips:
www.angelfire.com/wa3/isakswings/carseatpages.html

darell
12-03-2002, 01:45 PM
I agree with the first responder... buy the Marathon now, and see what is available when the new child comes. The Marathon is the best we have now and is truly universal as an infant seat/large child seat/LATCH, etc. But it now, and wait until the next child comes to see what the options are. Who knows, you may end up with two Marathons.