PDA

View Full Version : Nania Toddler/Booster seat

tinakf
11-26-2002, 11:38 AM
Does anyone know about this seat? I saw it at Burlington and like the way it looked. It's also the only seat I saw that doesn't have to be converted to a booster until the child is 50lbs (rather than the typical 40lbs). Plus it's attractive. Any reason not to get it?

I'm also considering the Graco Nest Step MX.

Can anyone help me out??

Tina

tobymc
11-27-2002, 09:24 AM
I'm assuming you are seeing the new combo seat I've heard named the Airway. There has been great interest in this booster, since as you said, it DOES allow use of the harness to 50 pounds. And it is affordable.

The downside so far has mostly been that no one could get one! So it is good to know that they are being found at Burlington Coat Factory.

The other downside is that some technicians who have tried the seat (they were able to pre-order some for programs in bulk) have found the adjustments very fussy. So I'd recommend trying the seat out in the store: tighten the harness, loosen it, change the straps to the other harness slot, etc. Try it in your car if you can. The belt path is more like, from what I've heard, some boosters that haven't fit so well, but I'm reserving judgement on that front for now. I haven't heard ANY real information on how this seat fits.

And then tell us all about it!

tinakf
11-28-2002, 02:58 PM
Well, I'm getting sort of fed up with the whole toddler/booster seat shopping. I'm not confident that the ones I'm finding are really all that safe. I guess I wouldn't be so confused if not for the fact that Consumer reports had a pretty long list of seats that they actively recommended against buying -- I think because of the belt-path problems on many of the seats once they're switched to the booster. I'm beginning to think I'm better off with not buying a second seat right now and just swapping out the one toddler seat we have should my daughter need to travel in my husband's car. When she's big enough I can just buy a solo booster.

I don't remember having this many reservations about buying her infant carrier or her infant/toddler seat. What's with the toddler/booster seats anyway????

Tina

tobymc
12-02-2002, 02:44 PM
These combo seats are trying to fill a lot of different niches. Originally, they may have been designed to take children right from the infant seat (back before the 12 month minimum for rear facing) up through the harnessed stage, then into the booster stage.

More recently, they are used to compensate for the fact that most convertible seats don't fit kids until they are really ready for boosters. So the combo is the transition seat.

They've got a wide market, and have felt many pressures to keep costs down, which has kept them using back harness adjusters, twisty straps, thin pads, etc.

Recently, Consumer Reports realized and publicized the possible problems with the shoulder belt adjusters.

It may be noteworthy that Britax doesn't have a combo seat. Instead, they opted to make a convertible that can be used until a child is ready for a booster.

In addition, combo seats are meeting several needs: both harnessed seats and booster seat needs. And combos are often called boosters, confusing the issue more.

So it is not surprising that you are finding this topic more confusing than the convertible, where it was clear what *type* of seat you needed.

As long as your child still fits in the convertible (under the weight limit, and shoulders below top slots), I think you very well might be happier just moving the seat back and forth, holding out for a regular booster soon.