PDA

View Full Version : Toby & others - buying a Britax RA in UK?

nigele
11-30-2002, 10:01 PM
First, let me ask that you forgive my ignorance on the subject of car seats - I have not read the car seat boards in a while so I am sorry if I am repeating something that may have already been discussed.

I am considering buying a Britax RA for my five month old. We are travelling to the U.K. next month and I was thinking perhaps I could buy the RA while I am there. (I am assuming there will be a cost savings.) Do you know if a RA sold in England would have the same safety standards as one sold in the U.S.?

TIA!

uccomama
12-01-2002, 08:43 PM
The Roundabout is not available in the UK. I would advise against buying and using a foreign seat, here's a link to the Parent's Place Car Seat Board FAQ on this subject. http://boards2.parentsplace.com/messages/get/ppcarseats18/34.html

The UK (EU) standard are different from US, both have their strengths and weakness so you really cannot say one is better than another. For example, we have tethers in the US and US Britax seats can be tethered rear-facing. No UK (or European seat) has tethers, so you wouldn't be able to do this if you had one. Also, US seats are tested using a lap belt only, very few European seats can be used with a lap-belt only. Finally very few European seats are LATCH compatible and all US seats manufactured after 9/02 must be.

HTH

Deborah with 2 in seats (Sasha 5 in a Britax Husky and Toby 2 3/4 RF in a Britax Marathon)

tobymc
12-02-2002, 12:01 PM
I'd agree with Deborah. If you will be using the seat in the US, buy one here. It will be safer since US seast are made, more or less, for US cars, and to US standards, and the bottom line is that non-US seats are illegal.

As a side benefit, here you get the options of the Roundabout OR the Marathon.

nigele
12-02-2002, 01:39 PM
Thanks to you both. I talked to my British DH and he thought it was crazy that I even thought about buying the car seat in the U.K.

I'll have to read previous posts to learn the difference between the two models.

I really do appreciate your input.