PDA

View Full Version : Should I Get a New Car Seat???

Soleil
12-06-2002, 03:40 AM
Hi:
I am expecting my second baby in 5 weeks. I am debating on whether to purchase a new infant car seat. I have a Century Avanta SE, manufactured in 2000. It has a 3 point harness, and the straps aren't that easy to adjust. My first child was able to use the seat till he was over a year old. I was considering the Graco Snugride DX with a 5 point harness. Having the strap adjustments in the back isn't a HUGE concern (they are much easier to adjust than my current seat), and I don't need LATCH compatability, because I drive a 2001 Saab 9-5 Wagon. I found a Snugride DX @ Babycenter for $55.89. I'd appreciate any feedback anyone has. I'm just not sure whether it is necessary for me to get a new one.

Thanks!
Soleil

Momof3Labs
12-06-2002, 10:59 AM
It really is up to you. While a 5-pt harness is safer than a 3-pt, you could still use your seat. I am a big fan of the front harness adjustor, and I bet you could find one for a few dollars more (especially since stores are clearing out their non-latch car seats). Keep in mind that since you now have two babies to put in car seats, the back adjustor may be a bigger hassle than if you only had one baby.

Another option would be to look for a FP Stay-in-View at Big Lots. We got ours for $30. It has a 5-pt harness, front adjustor and no Latch.

So is a new seat necessary? No. Would it be nice? Yes.

Lori
mommy to Colin Daniel 9/28/02