PDA

View Full Version : Evenflo Triumph vs. Britax Roundabout for a Honda Odyssey ?

jgjd
12-27-2002, 02:02 PM
Does anyone have experience with either the Evenflo Triumph or the Britax Roundabout (LATCH models) in a Honda Odysssey? We have been using a Century Accel for our 2 1/2 year old daughter and have had ongoing difficulties adjusting the harness. Now that our infant son is ready for a convertable seat we are going to move both Accels into our second car and buy two new seats for the Odyssey. We are considering the Evenflo Triumph and the Britax Roundabout (but we are open to other suggestions as well). I would like to go with the Triumph and save approx $100 per seat, but I want to make sure that the seat is a good fit, and that we won't have constant trouble adjusting the harness, as we have with the Accel. From what I have read on this message board and elsewhere, the Triumph seems safe and comfortable for the little ones. But I have only seen one reference to its ease of use - that its easier to use than the Accel/Graco Comfort Sport. Any thoughts on the relative merits of these two seats would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Caviller
12-27-2002, 10:54 PM
Both of these models should work well, especially for your son. The Triumph harness is a bit different than many others. It may take a little while to master it, but then it is very intuitive. You might also consider a model for your daughter that will last her longer than another convertible. Assuming she is already front-facing, any of the combination booster models should outlast another convertible for her. They go to 40 pounds with the internal harness, then to 80 or 100 pounds as a booster. You can also consider a Britax Husky which will last to 80 pounds in a harness. If she is petite and still rear-facing, a Britax Marathon might be the best choice; 33 pounds rear-facing and 65 pounds front facing.

You might also wish to visit http://www.car-safety.org/odyssey.html for some tips.

Darren
Car-Safety.Org
DuPage County SAFE KIDS
http://www.car-safety.org

jgjd
12-28-2002, 11:43 PM
Darren - thank you very much for the information. I have a follow-up question. When I had the current seats installed in the Odyssey, the car seat tech told me that I would only need a small booster seat in the Odyssey because of the high seat backs. Because of this advice, I was not considering seats that would convert to a booster. Do you agree with this car tech's advice? If so, do you recommend that I consider the Husky or Marathon for my daughter anyway? Thanks again for your help.

sarsah
01-02-2003, 12:16 AM
I have an '02 Odyssey and have used both the Britax Roundabout and Super Elite (now called Husky) and get a great fit with both seats using the seatbelts. These seats are very easy to install in the Odyssey, in fact, the car seat tech who checked my seat told me I should come an help them since I got the seat installed so well.

My Roundabout is not LATCH, but I did try a friends Britax Freeway (similar to the Roundabout, but forward facing only) in my Odyssey. We were able to get a much tighter fit with the seatbelt rather than using the LATCH. I'm not sure if we were doing something wrong or not.

Sarah.....

CPSDarren
01-04-2003, 04:05 PM
Hi-

Sorry for the late response, I've had trouble posting and logging in.

On any vehicle with adequate head restraints, you may use a backless booster. You may also use a high back booster. Some, like the Graco Turbo and Britax Starriser, allow you to convert from one to the other. That may be handy if you ever ride in another car that does not have good head restraints. If the top of your child's ears are above the top of the vehicle seat or headrest, then you do need a high back model. Otherwise, it is your choice:-)

Whichever way you go, you do want to keep your daughter in a 5-point harness until at least 40 pounds.

Darren
www.Car-Safety.Org
DuPage County SAFE KIDS

jgjd
01-08-2003, 03:37 PM
Darren and Sarah: Thanks for the helpful information. We decided to go for the Triumph for our son and the Comet for our daughter. I am going to install them today. I would have liked to go the Graco Turbo or Britax Starriser instead of the Comet, but our daughter is not 30 lbs yet.

- Gary