PDA

View Full Version : Want a Marathon... but will have to settle for something less expensive

Tondi G
12-30-2002, 06:46 PM
Dh is just not too keen on spending $250 +tax for a car seat... can't blame him really. So my options are either a Roundabout (non latch) or a Maxi Cosi Priori. I have heard nothing but good things about the RA... and was set on one before the MA came around.... then I heard about the recline feature on the MCP... which would be great cause DS's head does have the tendency to roll forward when he falls asleep. How is the MCP compared to the RA in other features? Is it as easy to use? front harness adjuster? Is it as nicely padded? DS has a FPSE now and just never seems that comfortable in the seat.... always tends to slouch trying to get comfy.... maybe it's just my kid? I figure DH will be more comfortable paying $150 than $250 and when the time comes for #2 we can move DS to an MA then or a booster if he's big enough .... and #2 can use this seat! What is it about having that recline feature that makes the seats only be usable Forward facing???

Thanks
~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01!

ddmarsh
12-30-2002, 11:00 PM
I am not familiar with the Maxi Cosi seat, I have heard it mentioned but have no experience with it. I can however not ever say enough about any Britax seat - they are fabulous, the company is fabulous to deal with and I am always confident that my children are in the best made and most comfortable seats on the market. If you do not want to spend the $250 I would urge you to look for a less expensive Britax seat and go with that. There are many great deals on the models without LATCH since the new LATCH seats have come out.

Good luck-
Debbie

tobymc
12-31-2002, 10:45 AM
You didn't mention how old ds is. I'm assuming that he's forward facing and is planning to stay that way. So I'd guess he's around 15-18 months old.

In that case, I'd highly recommend the MCP. I've never had one, but folks who have say that they like it even *better* than their Britax seats. And certainly as much. It is slightly different. For one thing, it has slightly higher top harness slots, so kids are less likely to outgrow it by height before weight. Another advantage is that the MCP is the only seat that allows you to recline the seat forward facing "on the fly" while the seat is already installed.

The downsides are two: the seat is only forward facing up to 40 pounds, and the seat you'll get was made a couple years ago. Cosco stopped distributing them a year or more ago.

So for now, this looks like a good choice for you.