PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find a Century Smart Fit Plus 22?

mharling
12-31-2002, 02:13 AM
I've read that they're difficult to find; that is an understatement!! Both store and on-line recommendations are welcome. Thanks!!

Mary
EDD 4/5/03

tobymc
12-31-2002, 10:50 AM
Why do you want it?

The neat thing about the SmartFit Plus 22 was that it went to 22 pounds. It also tended to fit well in many cars.

The downside is that it only has a rear harness adjuster, and a difficult one at that. It has a metal bar that slips through slots in the harness at the back. To readjust the harness, you have to guess how much tighter you want it, take the child out, re-thread it, put the child in again and check. I could never get it tight enough without removing the child. This is a total pain. This kind of adjuster wasn't such a big deal when we had mostly 3 point harnesses, but it sure is with the 5 points (and 5 points are safer, of course!).

I'd recommend instead one of the 5 point seats with front adjuster. The Evenflo Portabout or Cozy Carry go to 22 pounds. They've got a rear adjuster, but it is a one-pull type. Or two-pulls, but the child can still stay in the seat. The Baby Trend LatchLoc goes to 20 pounds now, but the version with a sliding back will go to 22 and should be out soon. The Graco SnugRide is the old standby that just tends to work well, but only goes to 20 pounds.

Hope that helps!

mharling
12-31-2002, 03:32 PM
Your response is very helpful, but now I'm confused! I was interested in this particular carseat not only because of the 22-pound limit, but also because it got great reviews in the Baby Bargains book (and because they're difficult to find, I have not found a lot of user reviews online). I also looked at the Century Vante V, but it looks like one of the heaviest seats out there, so I shied away and went back to the Smart Fit Plus.

I will definitely check out some of your other recommendations. Do you know anywhere that lists weights of various seats? None of the specs I've found seem to include this information.

Also, does anyone know if the Fisher Price SIV will fit on the Combi Perfect Match stroller?

Thanks!
Mary
EDD 4/5/03

tobymc
12-31-2002, 05:49 PM
I don't think the Field's realized the front adjuster problem. I don't think they currently recommend that one, though I know they used to. It has also been discontinued, though a few still pop up now and then.

I'd love to have the weights for the various infant seats. I keep trying to get my hands on a good baby scale that might let me measure that, but I admit that I'm not willing to actually spend MONEY on that, so not surprising, it hasn't happened. In other words, no, no one has compiled that info, and in fact, most of the weight stuff seems to be just how folks "feel" each seat weights.

No idea about the SIV and the Combi, but I used a SIV the other day, and boy do I like it. Hard to find, though.

joodyjr
01-01-2003, 01:06 AM
I've got a SIV if you're interested.

[email protected]

Bought it brand new, and used it a handful of times.

mharling
01-01-2003, 02:50 PM
I appreciate the offer! But, I just snapped up a new SIV on eBay. I'm going to try it out on the Combi, but if it doesn't fit I don't think I'll have a problem finding someone who wants it.