PDA

View Full Version : Britax fans - which carseat to purchase - RA or MA?

stella
01-02-2003, 02:57 PM
I currently have one 18 month old in a forward-facing non-latch RA. Love it!
Also have one 6 wk old in a snugride. I love the convenience of the infant seat/carrier.

Should my next carseat be a RA for the baby or a MA for the toddler and pass the current RA down to the baby?

The MA just seems so enormous and I love the RA. Is it as easy to use? Will I love it like the RA?

I'd rather spend less money on a new non-latch RA, but if that's short-sighted, I may spring for the MA.

Thanks so much!

tobymc
01-02-2003, 05:21 PM
You probably won't be surprised to hear that I'd recommend the MA. It is just a super sized RA. It isn't *quite* as nice, but it is still quite nice, and the advantages are significant. Your baby can use it first, to rear facing to age 2 or more. Then your toddler can use it between age 3 or 3 1/2 and 4-5 years. Then back to the baby for the same thing.

It isn't *that* much bigger than the RA, but it is enough bigger to last longer. It is actually the size that I'd like to see all convertibles be - big enough to really rear facing a long time, and really forward face until children are ready for boosters.

TrinaCliff
01-05-2003, 12:39 AM
I'm just curious to learn why you say the Marathon is not "quite as nice" as the Roundabout? Did I read that correctly? I'm just interested to know what the differences are and what isn't as nice about it. I'm in a similar situation as above, and I'm trying to decide what to do when my 7 mo daughter outgrows her Snugride (pretty soon, I think). By the way, technically, when is she too big for the Snugride? I can't remember the exact rule of thumb.

I was pretty set on giving her the Roundabout that my 2 year old son is in now and buying a Marathon for him to move to. I was trying to wait it out to see when the Wizard comes out, but that might be too long for us. Speaking of, any new news on that???

Wow, I asked lots of questions...sorry and thank you!!!
Kristen

Tondi G
01-05-2003, 07:44 PM
When saying the MA isn't quite as nice.... I think Toby is referring to the fact that some people have complained that the front harness adjuster doesn't pull smooth like the RA and that it might not be a plush! They have just been making the RA for so long that they have all the bugs worked out! Many people with MA's LOVE their seats and from what I've heard, if you don't already own an RA you wouldn't notice the harness adjuster's ratchet style pull cause you wouldn't have an RA to compare to!

I was all set on an MA but realized an RA would probably suit me just fine cause #2 probably won't come along till DS is Almost 3 years of age and when the baby is ready to move from an infant seat he or she will move to the RA, Rear facing, and then if DS needs something like an MA then we'll get it(hopefully they will have worked the bugs out) or he maybe ready for a booster at nearly 4 years of age! I was also considering the MCP but decided I want a seat that can be used RFing for future children!

As far a outgrowing the infant seat.... the child needs to have one inch of shell (NOT padding) above their head... so if there is less than an inch above their head or they outgrow the seat by weight... then they should move to a Rear facing convertible!

Good Luck on your decision.... hope Toby has more info on the Wizard for you!

joodyjr
01-06-2003, 10:49 PM
Never thought I'd do this.. but I have to disagree with Toby.. *gasp*.. LOL
I think the MA is just as plush and nice as the RA. In fact.. The fido MA is almost just an eensy bit more plush than my RA! Super super nice seat! Not one bit of problems with the harness either. (I was hem hawing about getting it based on some comments about the harness issues.)

Wizard is due out between Jan and March per Britax customer service.

I got the Marathon for my 2 year old and moved DD (11 weeks) into the RA! I'm waiting for her new car seat cover (cowmooflage!! LOL) to come so it's all new just for her!

juliasdad
01-07-2003, 12:46 PM
Darn.

Here I thought I had picked out the perfect carseat and ordered a Roundabout w/ LATCH just yesterday, and now all this talk about the Marathon. Am I going to regret the Roundabout??? Will Julia be outgrowing it as quickly as she did her SnugRide??? I got a good deal on the Roundabout (20% off; I had an order problem with an online retailer and to make it up to me, they told me I could have 20% off a Britax when I was ready to order one). Please, someone, make me feel better about the Roundabout!

-dan

joodyjr
01-07-2003, 02:04 PM
Have no fear, you're going to absolutely love your Roundabout!!!

I bought the Marathon because A. it's something new to play with, B. He's already 2 years old and 29 lbs.

DD is taking his Roundabout (she's 11 weeks), so I figured I'd get a Marathon for him. I wouldn't have hestitated to get another Roundabout, but because of his age and weight, I'll probably get more use out of the Marathon for him!! I think the Marathon is a good choice for folks in a similar situation, where an older toddler still needs to be harnessed. It's not unreasonable to think you'll still have her in a Roundabout at 3, 3 1/2, maybe even 4 years old!

Sounds like you got a really good price too! Can't beat that!

You won't have to worry about her outgrowing the seat either... Roundabout is really good in that area. Good harness height positions.

I love my Roundabout, and now the Marathon is a great new addition to our Britax family!

pamela mom of 3
01-07-2003, 02:43 PM
I think the RA is a great seat i have had mine about 3yrs now. They do have great high harness slots making them last longer. My 4yo at 39IN still has a bit of room to go, my eldest outgrew one at 4.5yrs.

:)

akc
01-07-2003, 04:37 PM
Hi all -

We just got the MA and returned the RA b/c our daughter is 100% on height and weight at 6 mos, so the prospects of her being petite are low (I'm 5'11" and DH is 6'2") It is really soft and comfy - I had posted b/c I was worried that the cushier fabric might not wear well, but everyone has said that it does fine and that it seems that spills actually repel off the fabric (vs. the regular cotton/polys that are not that soft faux-velvety feeling that the MA and some new RA's have). I got a little nervous b/c someone told me (not an expert, just a neighbor) that the head part wasn't as angled so that it wouldn't be comfortable but I compared them and they are the same. It may be that if you have a really tiny/shorter baby that it might take them a while to grow up to the head portion of the seat.

Anyway, I'm very happy with ours. Only question I have for folks who have them is how you negotiate with the rubber covers on the strap. They never seem to be in the right place or cooperate when we try to move them to tighten the straps. Is it a terrible idea to remove them until she is older and really straining to move and the straps might rub her skin? I'm just adjusting to how much harder it is to put her in the carseat and not the infant seat, so anything to simplify the process is good for me! :)

My only complaint is with the CAR not the seat. We have a durn Subaru Outback which is actually a TERRIBLE car for a baby. :( The seats (both infant and the convertible) take up a ton of space b/c of the short distance between the back and front; we have to keep the passenger side all the way as close to the dashboard (which is terrible for me and my height); I can't see her from any angle from the rearview mirror (and I have tried every reflective mirror on the headrest possible); and, finally, the one that takes the cake - The car is supposed to be cool and so it has an angled backdoor window that is widest at the bottom and about 12 inches shorter and closer to the front door at the top - when the door is open, the space minus the triangle is all that is left to work with when leaning in the car. This means that I have no way to get my head in to buckle her in b/c there is so space there (would work if I wanted to lie my head in her lap but that's not exactly helpful!) Consequently, I have to climb in the car on the OTHER side with her and scoot all the way across and latch her into the seat. What a pain! I recommend Subaru Outback's for people who DON'T have a baby or have older kids who are out of all seats (I won't make presuppositions about shorter adults and they're comfort).

Guess who's begging her DH for a minvan? And, I SWORE, I would NEVER drive a minivan!!!

Best of luck -
Alexa