PDA

View Full Version : re:head rest of Britax Advantage, Wizard vs Marathon

mama2be
01-08-2003, 11:15 PM
I'll be honest I am starting to want the Wizard because the head rest on it looks more comfy than the Marathon (note the Advantage I think also has that "comfie" looking head rest). By comfie I mean the little holders that keep the head in place.

Not knowing a thing about car seats and if that is a good thing or an in the way thing I was hoping someone could shine some light on that for me. Life would be a lot simpler for me if I get the Marathon since it is out now...and Wizard might be out a few days after I give birth...

Any adivce??? Here is the link to both to see what I am talking about

http://www.elitecarseats.com/britax-advantage-car-seat.htm
http://www.elitecarseats.com/britax-marathon-car-seat.htm

Thanks!!!

Tondi G
01-09-2003, 06:19 PM
It's funny I guess it's just opinions... but I thought the opposite.... those head rest look to me like the childs head will be pushed more upright and forward thus encouraging their heads to fall forward while they sleep in the car..... at least it seems that way with my friends Eddie Bauer AO! I'm not into those adjusters... the knob is in a funny place on the side.... honestly with the front harness adjuster to help with loosening and tightening of the straps you aren't going to be moving the straps that often! It's up to you if you want to wait but I don't see it being worth the extra money and stress if you are holding out for it right before you have the baby! I would go ahead and buy the Marathon... but thats me and my opinion! Good Luck

~Tondi

SFSteph
01-10-2003, 12:21 AM
I have both the Advantage and the Marathon and have to say that the headrest on the Advantage is awesome! My son's head is totally supported whever he falls asleep and doesn't roll too far over to one side, as he does in the Marathon (which is like the Roundabout). And his head NEVER falls forward when he sleeps in the Advantage. In fact, I may trade in the Marathon for the Wizard when it comes out as I really like the added features on my Advantage. Hope this helps!

mama2be
01-10-2003, 12:30 AM
When people talk about the 'adjuster" on the Wizard I thought it was straps is it actually this thing a ma jig???

Joolsplus2
01-10-2003, 05:35 PM
The Wizard has both a front pull harness tightener, and a Dial on the side that raises and lowers the level of the harness straps at the shoulder, and the headpillow goes up and down with it. is that what you're asking?

mama2be
01-10-2003, 05:54 PM
I think so...I knew it has some "adjuster feature"...mind you I know little if nothing about car seats..I didn't realize it invloved the head rest...just htought it was for the straps. I really wish I knew when it was coming out so I'd know what to do...

Joolsplus2
01-10-2003, 06:28 PM
Have you considered getting an infant seat? Then you could put off the big convertible purchase for another few months, at least....

mama2be
01-11-2003, 11:20 AM
I really have not considered it...some have thought this is what I should do and I am just now thinking that I should consider it...

I thought I don't have a stroller to hold one, but Lisa sent me a link to an item that I can attach to my Bertini pram and put it in there...I just don't like excess stuff...I tend to buy what I think is the best and will last...

But starting to think that I will need one, and that would solve my Wizard problem till they come out...

deiger
01-11-2003, 12:03 PM
I have recently gone through the same thinking as you re infant carseats vs. getting a Marathon or Wizard. I have decided based on feedback from experienced parents that I am going to purchase an infant carseat first, and hold off on the convertibe carseat for a while. The main reason is that although the convertible carseats can fit an infant, they apparently do not fit nearly as well as the infant car seats. And although I also don't want a lot of excess baby gear, safety in this case comes first. I was also looking at the Marathon, and have decided to wait and see if I like the Wizard better (I am due in May).

I also do not plan on having a stroller that can take the infant car seat of my choice (i am probably going to get the Grace Snugride, based on excellent reviews). The "travel system" strollers have not gotten good reviews from stroller experts on various boards. Frankly, I like the idea of being able to get baby into the infant car seat in the house, snap them into the car seat base in the car, and snap them out of it once I'm where I'm going. However, since studies show that you really shouldn't have an infant in a carseat for more than 20 minutes on either side of your car ride, I really am not worried about needing a stroller with the ability to carry the carseat. I've been thinking about how I would likely use the click-in/click-out infant carseat feature, and it's most likely to go from house-to-car and car-to-house. I would switch the infant to a stroller if I were going anywhere that I knew the infant would be in the stroller a long time.

So, there are my (long!) thoughts. Hope this helps.

diane