PDA

View Full Version : Do most of you have two car seats? Help!

suzette
01-13-2003, 12:42 PM
My daughter is 16 weeks old and is about to grow out of her infant seats. We bought two because my husband and I share the drop off and pick up responsibilites with daycare. Now that I'm looking at the convertible seats, we are talking $500 for two!

Do most of you have a seat in each car, or do you move it back and forth? Should I get a Britax for the primary car (the one we would do long trips in, etc.) and get a less expensive model for the ride to day care? Any recommendations???

Thanks!
Suzette

Joolsplus2
01-13-2003, 02:00 PM
It is definitely more convenient to have 2 seats....you already know that, i guess. your idea to get one really nice one, like the marathon, for the main car, and a less expensive one for the shorter trips is fine. Here's Toby's buying guide for convertible seats http://www.carseatdata.org/convertible.html and you can get the marathon for $229 at babycollection.com or $239 at babycatalog.com. Or maybe you can find roundabouts on clearance for $139 or so and get 2 of those...any combination is fine, and you can do whatever works for you. good luck! Julie

cara1
01-13-2003, 02:26 PM
Yeah, we bit the bullet and bought two Britax seats, too. Actually, we got one RA and one Marathon. I know some folks get one Britax and then something less expensive for the other car that maybe they'll use less. I figured that even if DS rides in one car less often, that doesn't mean there won't be an accident, and I wanted him to be in whatever I thought was safest. Poof, there went $700 or so (MIL car too!).

egoldber
01-13-2003, 05:16 PM
We did buy two Britax seats. I asked DH (the principal carseat installer) if he wanted to look at less expensive seats for his car, and his point of view was that he already knew how to install the Britax, and he would prefer NOT to have to learn two different installations. He is now REALLY good at it, LOL. :)

suzette
01-13-2003, 06:26 PM
Thanks!

There really isn't a difference in safety, right? I thought all car seats had to be equally safe and the difference is really in comfort for the child.

Momof3Labs
01-13-2003, 09:38 PM
Safety is also related to ease of use and installation - all seats, used and installed perfectly, should be very safe, but some seats are easier to use and install properly. That's part of the reason why Britax seats are so popular.

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

suzette
01-14-2003, 10:38 AM
Great point...thanks!

heidi_timms
01-14-2003, 04:53 PM
I would purchase a new Britax off of ebay to save some money! I haven't purchased carseats yet, but I intend to get mine from ebay. They sell the Britax seats for around $150-175, plus shipping and there are tons of listings for seats right now.

Heidi
Due 5/5/03