PDA

View Full Version : Center arm rest

lovin2shop
01-13-2003, 03:42 PM
I drive a Volvo V70 and the center position has an armrest that pulls out. I've heard that this makes installing the seat in the center position dangerous as it could pull down in the event of an accident. This sounds plausible to me, but I just want to make sure that this warrants moving the seat to an outboard position. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Amy

Joolsplus2
01-13-2003, 05:11 PM
There is only one manufacturer that won't allow installation of a rearfacing seat in front of a center armrest: Evenflo. And, they have never provided, to my knowledge, any statistics on injuries from armrests. However, I have seen a crashtest on the NHTSA website, and the armrest did come down in a crash, AND when I owned my SAAB, they offered a velcro strap to keep the armrest up. Perhaps you could find out if Volvo offers something like that? Otherwise, it's a parental decision you get to make. The good news is, any seat in the back is MUCH safer, statisically, than the front passenger seat, for ALL passengers, so even placing the seat "outboard" is still very very safe. good luck, Julie

sarahbrown29
09-05-2005, 08:28 PM
Okay, so I know I have brought this up before but ... when we had our Graco Snugride checked out by the CPS tech in the area, he told DH that when there is a center armrest there, it isn't technically a seat (even though there is a seat belt.)

We have a 1998 Volvo V70 and I would LOVE to have the seat in the center (I'd have more legroom when I am sitting up front in the passenger's seat) but DH won't allow it.

Are we going to have the same problem (or even worse) if we get a Britax RA RF?

Sarah

Joolsplus2
09-05-2005, 08:48 PM
Oh heavens... Not a seat?!?!? That's.... silly. Did he read the car manual? Is there ANY restriction against putting a carseat there? No? Then put a carseat there! Tell your dh to find specific, black and white proof that it's unsafe (Volvo manuals are even available online) and then you'll buy it.

Sigh...sorry, not at ALL meaning to show any frustration with you or your DH, but when "professionals" spout misinformation with no basis in fact, it just makes the rest of us look bad and creates confusion for caring, smart, working-hard-to-be-informed parents like you!

Reasons NOT to install a seat in the center? Many gm suv's have restrictions against it, you can't use LATCH in the center sometimes (your car doesn't have LATCH, anyway), or the seat is simply incompatible with that seating postion, even after 3 or so hefty attempts to get it right.

Good luck, and when in doubt, read both manuals for the car and the seat, and call the numbers given to talk to a real human about it.

:)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Puddy73
09-06-2005, 06:04 AM
We used a Graco Snugride in the center position of our 2001 V70 and it was a great fit. A local CPS tech approved it.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/03 & a little pumpkin due 10/05

"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience." - Woodrow Wilson

sarahbrown29
09-06-2005, 11:34 AM
What convertible seat did you use RF? We are trying to decide which seat to get and I want to have as much leg room in the front as possible. With the Snugride in the middle, did you have to move the drivers or passengers seat up at all? We have them all the way back.

Thanks!
Sarah

Puddy73
09-06-2005, 02:16 PM
I'm 5'9" and I had no problem with the Snugride in the center, but DH is 6'1" and he would move the seat back until it was up against the handle of the Snugride. He had enough room to drive, but I think it would have bugged him if he drove my car very often.

We have used both an Evenflo Triumph and a Britax RA, and we didn't have a problem with legroom with either one when they were RF.

Jennifer

"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience." - Woodrow Wilson

sarahbrown29
09-06-2005, 05:57 PM
Thanks Jennifer!

Which did you prefer ... the Triumph or the RA?

Sarah

Puddy73
09-06-2005, 08:34 PM
Honestly, I liked them both and the Triumph is much cheaper. They were both easy to install, fit well and did well in Consumer Reports Crash tests. I originally had an RA in my car, but we had to replace it after an accident and none of our local stores carried Britax at the time. The RA did have a few benefits - the cover fabric was cuter and felt softer, it was lighter and narrower (if I recall correctly) and may have been a little taller.

Jennifer

KrisM
09-06-2005, 09:01 PM
My car has a pull-down armrest in the center and it has LATCH in the center. It's not a seat, but has LATCH? Huh. That's just weird.

Joolsplus2
09-07-2005, 07:29 AM
Tee hee.. with some of the scary misinformation I hear, I have to wonder what these folks were doing in their cps tech classes? Maybe smoking in the bathroom? ;)
Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx