PDA

View Full Version : LATCH retrofit on cars

CLS25
01-13-2003, 06:08 PM
Does anyone have any information as to whether certain car manufacturers will install LATCH anchors on older model cars so that the newer LATCH carseats can be used? I specifically have a 1997 Honda CR-V and we just bought a new Britax Roundabout with LATCH.

Joolsplus2
01-13-2003, 06:24 PM
Only some newer Audis and VW's will install LATCH anchors (and *maybe* some Fords)...but definitely not CR-V's...(I have a '99, and it was a pain to even get the tether anchors installed...have you done that yet?)

cinrein
01-23-2003, 03:48 PM
I suggest calling a Honda dealer and asking at the Service Department. I have a 2000 Lexus RX-300 and just called. They said they can install the LATCH on both outboard positions for $140. I've also heard from an BRU employee that Nissan installed the LATCH on his Pathfinder. I say it's worth a couple minutes phone call to find out for sure.

Cindy
edd 2/14/03

mama2be
01-23-2003, 04:01 PM
When I called our Lexus dealership about my Lexus 470 they acted like I was speaking another language...they were of no help...they tried to punt me to a company that rents and refurbishes conversion vans to do the work...

Wish I had your dealership!!!!

Is Latch safer...or is is just easier...I have yet to figure that one out. We just bought our seat and it has latch but the car does not...I think I had read that once the child reaches a certain weight that you have to resume to the "old method" anyway...but I don't know if that is true...

C99
01-23-2003, 04:36 PM
Are you sure the BRU employee had the lower anchors installed? I know that Nissan offers a retrofit for the tethers, but not for the anchors -- I called two dealerships and corporate trying to get the lower anchors on my 2000 Maxima and no such luck.

Neve: I've heard that the LATCH is just supposed to be easier, but that any carseat installed properly is safe.

Caroline

cinrein
01-23-2003, 05:07 PM
Neve: I've read too that the LATCH is just easier to install properly. Both ways are safe provided the seat is properly installed. All I can say is maybe try another Lexus dealership? Mine does safety seat inspections too, so maybe that's why they knew what I was talking about when I called.

Caroline: I assumed he meant the lower anchors. That's what we were testing in the store and he was commenting on how our 2000 vehicle just missed having them. He did say he had to call around to several dealerships to find one that would install the anchors on his Pathfinder and that most wouldn't do it.

Cindy
edd 2/14/03

Joolsplus2
01-23-2003, 05:09 PM
Here's another post that might be of interest re: latch retrofits...http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID6/1374.html

CPSDarren
01-24-2003, 11:00 AM
With the exception of some recent model Audi/VW models, most vehicles cannot have lower anchors retrofitted if they were not present from the factory.

Most of the confusion is with people that do not understand the difference between the lower anchors and the top tethers, which can be fitted on most vehicles since 1989.

If you do find that a dealer can install LATCH lower anchors on your vehicle, I would *greatly* appreciate a copy of the service receipt, the service bulletin about the installation or a parts kit number. Please also include the year and exact model of your vehicle. That way the information can be included in the next version of a manual that technicians use to help parents with situations like this. Please email to the address in my profile- thanks!

Also see:

http://www.car-safety.org/latch.html

Darren
www.Car-Safety.Org
DuPage County SAFE KIDS

ralar
01-29-2003, 09:55 AM
Are you looking for receipts, etc. from non-VW, non-Audi dealerships, or VW and Audi also? The owner's manual for my 2000 VW Passat indicates that the car is equipped with lower anchors. My car did not have them. It took several trips to the dealership, and they had to special order the anchor kits, but they finally installed them in my car (for free).

You aren't kidding when you say that service techs don't know the difference between the lower anchors and tether points. I made an appointment to have the lower anchors installedand took my car to the dealership. Several hours later they called and said everything was complete. When I got there, there were sill no lower anchors. The guy pointed to the tether points and said, "They were here the entire time." Then, he didn't believe there was such a thing as lower anchors, even though the manual showed them. After dealing with the service manager, and waiting months for the parts, they installed them.

Let me know if you want the documentation.

--Laurie

Rachels
01-29-2003, 10:27 AM
LATCH is definitely easier, and works no matter what the baby's weight is.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

CPSDarren
01-30-2003, 12:16 AM
Thank you for the offer! I do not need this information for any Audi models or the VW Passat. Any other models would be very much appreciated, though!

Darren
www.Car-Safety.Org
DuPage County SAFE KIDS

ham1299
02-03-2003, 02:53 AM
Darren,

I just wanted to say thank you for posting a link to that site. I am originally from DuPage County, but now live in Moline, Illinois. I was able to find somewhere nearby that will do safety checks! Thanks.

Heather
expecting #1
edd 6-16-2003

CPSDarren
02-04-2003, 01:23 AM
More summer events in Northern Illinois are added every week. Sometimes daily:-)

Darren
www.Car-Safety.Org
DuPage County SAFE KIDS

ham1299
02-05-2003, 06:01 PM
Darren,

Sorry to keep bugging you. I hope you don't mind. My dh and I bought the Graco Snugride infant carseat and just found out that it can be secured in a car without a base. We have two cars and were considering buying a second base for his car, keeping the original base in mine. But, knowing that a second base isn't necessarily needed, we're considering going without - one less thing to purchase. I wanted to ask your opinion about that. Is the carseat less safe secured in a vehicle without a base? I don't want to decide one way or the other until I talk to someone, and I thought you'd be a great person to start with. Thanks for any information you might have! :)

Heather
Expecting #1
edd 6-16-2003

CPSDarren
02-05-2003, 06:44 PM
While it does depend on the car and carseat, you may find that using the carrier by itself could be even a bit more secure than using it with the base. Either method is fine if they can be installed properly.

We did purchase a second base just for convenience. If you don't mind the extra time to install the carrier without the base and feel comfortable that you can get it right, then there probably isn't a need to purchase an extra one:-)

Darren
www.Car-Safety.Org
DuPage County SAFE KIDS

ham1299
02-06-2003, 12:31 PM
Darren,

Thanks again. That definitely gives us something to consider. I think we'll start by seeing how well the carseat fits in the second car with the base and take it from there. Thanks again! :)

Heather
Expecting #1
edd 6-16-2003