PDA

View Full Version : Grand Cherokee and Snugride

spence1
01-14-2003, 02:42 PM
I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited. I followed the instrucitons for installing the Snugride car seat and it is so loose. I keep trying to pull the seat belt tighter and the seat still moves a lot from side to side. Has anyone used this seat in this car and been able to get it tight? Any tips would be appreciated.

Joolsplus2
01-14-2003, 03:21 PM
Have you checked your carseat manual to see how the seatbelt "locks"? some only get tight after you pull them out all the way and let them retract, and some have a "locking latch plate" that you have to pull at a different angle to get them to stay tight (like a mini-blind cord, sort of). Here's a page with more information http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/lockincss.aspx If you've already done this, then be aware that the ONLY place to check for seat movement is AT the belt path. If it is tight there, then it doesn't matter if it moves quite a bit at the front of the base.

mamahill
01-14-2003, 03:23 PM
I don't have a Cherokee, but I had similar problems until Toby suggested I kneel on the base while snapping in the seat belt. Also, if you have trouble with it loosening after snapping it in, try rotating one of the ends of the belt 180 degrees before snapping it into the other. That way it won't loosen up easily. Doing all of this, and then extending the base, really helped us get that "snug" fit. Hope this helped. If not, I'm sure others will!

Windy City Heather
01-16-2003, 04:06 PM
I have a 2001 Larado with Leather seats and a Stay in View. I can't imagine that they are that different of an infant seat. We used 2 noodles and a gripper. I put all my weight on the base and pulled the seat belt. We have a rock solid fit.

deenass
01-21-2003, 04:08 PM
Call your nearest police station and have them help you install the carseat. My husband, who is an engineer, installed the snugride according to the directions and it rocked quite a bit. Yesterday, we went to the police station and the child safety officer showed us how to install CORRECTLY and the seat is now ROCK SOLID. Your local police dept should ahve a safety officer who provides this service.