PDA

View Full Version : LATCH vs. non-LATCH

parkersmama
01-15-2003, 02:15 PM
We have used a Britax RA for about 4 years. We got it when my now 5yo son outgrew his infant seat and we are currently using it for my almost 3yo son. I'm pregnant again and planning to eventually replace this seat with a new one since the seat will be more than 6 years old when we need it. My question is this: has anyone used a LATCH seat in a vehicle that is not LATCH equipped? I have a 2000 Honda Odyssey and we don't plan on replacing it any time soon. It does not have the LATCH capability and I'm wondering if the LATCH seats will work well in it. If not, it might be wise for me to go ahead and purchase a new Britax RA while the non-LATCH ones are going on clearance. If they will work, I'll wait to buy one since we can't really afford it right now! TIA for any help you can give!

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

CPSDarren
01-15-2003, 03:51 PM
A LATCH-equipped carseat will install in a vehicle without LATCH just the same as a carseat that does not have LATCH. There is no guarantee of a good fit, of course, but there should be no difference. In fact, the majority of LATCH-equipped carseats are virtually identical to the previous versions with the addition of LATCH straps. The system to install using seatbelts is identical to the older models.

If you don't plan on using your carseat in a LATCH vehicle, it is perfectly reasonable to purchase a non-LATCH model to save some money! If the seat installs well with a seatbelt, it is just as safe as a good installation using LATCH.

Also see:

http://www.car-safety.org/latch.html

http://www.car-safety.org/odyssey.html

Darren
www.Car-Safety.Org
DuPage County SAFE KIDS

parkersmama
01-16-2003, 12:11 PM
Thanks! I think that gives me the info I needed to know. Although I'd love to get a bargain on a seat now, money is tight so I'll probably just wait until we actually need the seat (I anticipate it being more than a year from now!).

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003