PDA

View Full Version : Century Vante V - any info, comments, complaints

jamierush
01-17-2003, 11:39 AM
Hi I got a great deal $25 on an unopened Century Vante V(Vanta ?) and cant really find any info on it.) I have about 2 more weeks before I need to decide it I am gpoing to return it.

Is it the SmartFit Plus, just renamed? Also it says it goes to 22 lbs 29 inches, which is a big plus for me because we are both tall and i would hate to get a Graco at $90 for 3-4 months of use...

Also any feedback on the back adjusting straps, I played with them with no baby in the seat and it didn't seem that difficult? Am i just a delusional first timer about that? It makes sense that front adjusting is easier, but I would rather have another 2 inches in height...

Also, any info on where to get another base, as Century has been disco'd...

Thanks

Momof3Labs
01-17-2003, 03:04 PM
I did a search on the Car Seats thread and found several messages with tidbits on this seat. You might want to try that and read what others have said about it, along with suggestions for alternative seats.

Hope this helps!

Lori

Tondi G
01-17-2003, 06:30 PM
I had a century Avanta.... this is what the Vante V came from! It is a good seat in the respect that it has higher height and weight limits (my child was able to use it till about 9 months!).... but many people don't like the adjuster bar in the back and with a child in the seat it can be VERY difficult! Other complaints is that it is a heavy seat.... heavier than say a snugride or an Evenflo Portabout... there is also a new seat by Baby trend as well... You may want to go out and have a look at these other seats in person first... check out the front harness adjuster on the Snugride and see what everyone is talking about.... it truely is easier! If you are tall parents and expect to have a larger baby you may want to get a seat with higher limits.... most babies only fit in their snugride for 6 months (there are other seats out there with higher limits than the snugride and better adjusters).... it is really up to you! Any seat is safe as long as it fits the child and the car well!!! We did like our Avanta.... aside from it being rather large for our peanut when we first took him home.... he got kinda swallowed up in the seat and wasn't very happy about it! We'll probably get a new infant seat (a snugride when we get around to #2) just so they will be more comfy in the beginning.... then possibly switch to the Avanta again if they outgrow the seat quickly?! The only thing to think about is the date of manufacture.... most seats are only good for 6 years or less from the date of manuf.... so if you want to be able to use it on more than one child and don't plan ot have them back ot back you might be limited.... might be worth spending a little more now?!

As far as an additional seat base..... you can use this seat without a base.... we only did this a few times in different cars and it worked fine.... realy elliminating the need for a second base.... glad we didn't spend the extra money for it!

Good Luck.... hope this helps!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01!