PDA

View Full Version : Installing the Roundabout rearfacing

stayathomemom
01-21-2003, 10:23 AM
We just took our car seat to have installed. We have the Britax Roundabout. I was told that the Roundabout was too big to install rear facing in the middle seat, so it was put in behind the passanger seat. To have the seat reclined at the appropriate angle, the front seat had to be moved all the way up and now I am told that it is not safe to use the front seat.

Has anyone else found that they have had problems fitting the Roundabout in rear facing?
Thanks!

KCR4
01-21-2003, 12:25 PM
Well, it is not just the RA, all convertible carseats are sort of bulky when used rear-facing. We use the RA rearfacing in my VW passat wagon for our son (17 mo), on the rear outboard position. Yes, the front passenger seat is a bit far forward. Once he was more comfortable sitting upright (like by 8 months, if I remember correctly), we no longer reclined the RA to 45 degrees, probably more like 30 degrees. We pushed back the front passenger seat to brace the RA. With this setup, it works ok in terms of front legroom for shorter passengers (like me, if my husband driving my car). But when I drive, my husband tends to sit in back with our son - which is fun for both of them.

celfsh
01-21-2003, 01:11 PM
You were still cramped with a Passat wagon?! What size of car does it take for 2 tall parents to ride comfortably with a rear-facing baby? Our baby is still riding in her infant carseat (for now), which just BARELY fits into our Nissan Sentra. There is no way our RA will fit rear-facing, so we were thinking about upgrading to a sedan. Based on your post, though, even that might not work for us. What do most parents do? (1) Just live with being cramped and don't take any long drives! (2) Buy an SUV or (gasp!) a minivan.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Celeste
Mom to Olivia 9/25/02

baby_mis1
01-21-2003, 01:58 PM
Buying a minivan won't necessarily solve the problem - at least if you want the carseat in the second row. We have a Nissan Quest, and with the infant seat we had to move the passenger's seat up a little in the front. We have now installed a Marathon (also by Britax) and have been able to move the seat back a bit. It is pushed up against the car seat, which is more vertical than 45, since our son is almost a year.

However, we do have a RA in our Corolla, and that seems to work OK. It is slightly offset from the center, so my very tall husband can easily drive the car. The passenger's seat is pushed up slightly, but I don't notice any problems at 5'6". That seat is able to go back a lot farther than if the car seat was directly behind it.

I find it strange that they said they said the seat would fit on one side, but not in the middle - isn't the middle the roomiest area?

Valerie
Mom to Jonas 2-21-02

egoldber
01-21-2003, 02:21 PM
Why do you think minivans and SUVs are so popular. And I was once a minivan hater, but I have to say I LOVE my Dodge Grand Caravan. The minivan makers really know who their customer is...

celfsh
01-21-2003, 03:29 PM
True...never imagined I'd be driving one this soon, though...I guess sporty cars are a thing of the past (along with dry-clean only clothes and ANYTHING spur-of-the-moment)...

Celeste
Mom to Olivia 9/25/02

Momof3Labs
01-21-2003, 09:05 PM
stayathomemom -

What kind of car do you have? You can check Toby's database (www.carseatdata.org) to see what others have done. I don't understand, though, why it is unsafe to use the front seat now.

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

KCR4
01-21-2003, 11:09 PM
OK, re: my passat wagon. My husband COULD fit in the front passenger seat directly in front of the rear-facing, outboard RA, but his legs would be pretty cramped and he would be really smacked by the airbag in an accident (i believe). And since it is no problem for him to drive us (and push the driver seat as far back as he wants), that is what we do. And sometimes he rides in back with baby for fun while I drive.

Now, about the center position issue. I didn't feel like I got as good a fit trying to install the RA rear-facing in the center position in my car, as compared to the outboard position. But, I get a GREAT fit in the center with the RA forward-facing (our son is 17 months, so we have sometimes turned him forward-facing when we are going to drive several people in my car, ie holidays/family visiting).

Best case scenario re: a rear-facing/center-position carseat is that BOTH front passenger seats still move enough back & forward; I don't think the overall size of the car (ie sedan or tank) predicts 100% when this will be an issue or not. I guess that is why Toby's database has such great potential, as well as the advice to "test-drive" the carseats in your own cars before you buy - which I didn't do but lucked out anyway !

Momof3Labs
01-21-2003, 11:36 PM
KCR4,

This is good information - I have a Passat wagon and we should be receiving our Roundabout this week. Colin hasn't quite outgrown his SIV, but his days in it are numbered. I was wondering if we'd be able to do a center install rear-facing, but it sounds like we'll have to go the same route and put him behind the passenger seat (DH is 6'3" and needs to be able to drive my car sometimes)!

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

parkersmama
01-22-2003, 12:34 PM
It's so true! We purchased a Honda Odyssey when I was pregnant with #2 and despite the blow to my ego, it's been a wonderful vehicle! We used our RA rear-facing in the 2nd row easily. Mind you, you couldn't get past it on that side to get in the backseat but the front seat was able to be at it's back position. Minivans get a bad rap but once you bite the bullet and get one, you'll never regret it!

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

KCR4
01-22-2003, 01:13 PM
Lorie: Well, it is always worth a try for the center position. I have to admit, we only tried it once, way way back when we got the RA more than one year ago. I have learned a lot since then, and might be able to make it work better now.

kimmers71
01-22-2003, 04:33 PM
You CAN install your RA RF in the center position! I don't know why this person would tell you it's too big. And why is it now unsafe to use the front seat? I don't think this person knew what they were talking about.

I have a 2001.5 Passat and have the RA installed RF in the center position. I have the passenger seat all the way back and have it tethered on the cross bar underneath. When the seats are all the way back, the seat does rub against the RA a little bit but I don't believe that's any cause for concern.

I've moved the seat several times from center to outboard and have always had a tight fit regardless.

Kris

stayathomemom
01-22-2003, 06:39 PM
When I had the car seat installed, they moved the front seat all the way up. I have gone out to look at it since and I think the problem is that the seat seems to be reclined more than others that I have seen. I don't know if it is necessary to have the seat rear facing and reclined. But the back of the passanger seat is touching the car seat. I could use the front seat, but even being short, there is very little room up there. I have another appointment to go and have the seat looked at and see if there is something else we can do.

Rachels
01-22-2003, 09:39 PM
RF, yes, reclined, not necessarily. If your baby is sitting up and has good head control, you don't have to recline the seat so much. That's why the RA has several recline positions. Good luck!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

egoldber
01-22-2003, 10:33 PM
In fact, the LESS reclined the better. Only recline it back far enough that your baby's head doesn't flop forward.

HTH,

Joolsplus2
01-22-2003, 10:51 PM
when it touches the front seat, it is good. it is called "bracing" and it prevents the seat rotating forward too far. i have my driver's seat crammed up against the back of my Marathon, and I love how there's just no room for movement (there was ONE seat that disallowed the carseat to touch the vehicle seat in front, the century smartmove, and it's been discontinued). Here's some great information on how safe a seat is when braced (and in the case of britax, tethered) http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/BraceTether.aspx

August Mom
01-27-2003, 04:51 PM
We have a 2001.5 Passat as well. Our manual says not to install a car seat RF in the center because the back arm rest folds down. Have you had any problems with this?

mfloChicago
02-20-2003, 12:27 PM
You can get your VW retrofitted with the LATCH anchors for no charge at any VW dealership and it takes only a few hours. You can then easily install a LATCH car seat on either the driver or passenger side. I just did this to my 2002 Passat Wagon and was amazed at how easy the LATCH system works.