PDA

View Full Version : Baby Trend Latch Loc infant car seat

jeepdad
01-23-2003, 02:14 PM
We were at the local BRU, and the Baby Trend Latch Loc car seat looks great, like it much better than the Snugrides (heavy, poor handle, cutsy patterns). The Peg Perego (or what ever) are way too much. The Everflo is nice, too. Any one have any experience with the Latch Loc car seat? Neither of our cars ('96 Jeep Cherokee Sport and '91 Saab 900S) have Latch, so we will be using seatbelt install. It also seems that extra bases are only available from Baby Trend, is this true? Is the release handle at the baby's feet a problem? (it seems like all the other ones have it at baby's head)

Thanks!
(1st baby due 6/8/03)

tobymc
01-23-2003, 06:08 PM
You can find my review of the LL on my site: http://www.carseatdata.org/infant.html

I loved the release at the baby's feet. But the seat belt installation was only OK. The latch installation was terrific. So be sure to take the base out to your car and try it before you buy. Or buy, but leave all the tags attached while you try it. The base is a hunk of steel, so it is very heavy, but I don't think the seat is much different in weight from the others.

I think all the LLs on the shelf now have a 20 pound limit. The ones with a moving back will be 22 pounds, but I'm not sure they are out yet.

The Evenflo Portabout is also nice.

nicknack
01-24-2003, 09:56 AM
toby (or anyone else)--
Can you offer up your opinion on the main differences between the Portabout and the Snugride? Is it mainly that the Snugride has those easy-to-adjust straps? I think I'm deciding between the two and am wondering pros/cons to both. I like the handle on the Portabout a lot, but also think I read that it leans foward a bit so the baby seems like he/she might tip out...
Thanks!
Nicole

jeepdad
01-24-2003, 10:56 AM
Do you know when the 22 pound limit ones will be available? We're not due til June, so we have some time yet.

Thanks!

jeepdad
02-12-2003, 03:25 PM
anyone?

jamierush
02-13-2003, 02:14 PM
I am actually at the same place you are ..deciding between the Graco, Latch Loc and Portabout...

Wish I could help!

bnme
02-13-2003, 02:18 PM
Just wanted to add that I have the Snugride and one thing to consider is the weight of the seat. I find the Snugride to be very heavy -I can only carry it short distances and DS is only 5wks! I never compared it to other seats (got due to safety ratings) but it is something to consider.

Momof3Labs
02-13-2003, 03:57 PM
Have you tried contacting Baby Trend with your question about the 22 pound weight limit seats? They would have the most accurate answer, I presume.

tobymc
02-13-2003, 10:40 PM
The new LL should be shipping in late March, and should be on the shelves by May. I should have one before that to review. I will, of course, share all my comments with all of you.

So for those of you due in June, this is still an option. If you have latch hooks in your car, I think you might want to wait at least until I've tried it out.

youngnan
02-21-2003, 04:08 PM
Unfortunately, the Latch Loc that goes up to 22 pounds won't be in stores until the middle of the summer. I just called Baby Trend this morning, and they said the ETA was sometime in July. Although it will be manufactured in the spring, apparently getting the product out to their distributors takes that long.

So I guess we'll just have to settle for the 20-lb limit. I guess we'll get tired of carrying the baby & carrier by then anyway.