PDA

View Full Version : I know I'm going to be blasted for asking this, but...

gour0
01-23-2003, 06:25 PM
My sister lent us her Evenflo on my way which has a manufacturers date of 20nov98 on the bottom. Model #207104 P1. It was only used for her one child and was never in any accidents. If it is installed properly, is there any reason this seat would not be safe for the first month or two, until Britax comes out with the Wizard and ds is big enough to be secure in the larger seat?

egoldber
01-23-2003, 09:55 PM
I would check the Evenflo website for how long they warranty the plastic in their seats. Plastics do "wear out" over time, but most manufacturers say their seats can be used for at least 6 years, so the seat is probably fine.

If the seat is in good shape, it fits your car and you don't mine that it's not a new seat, then why not use it?

HTH,

momathome
01-23-2003, 10:36 PM
Be careful, though. I believe most Evenflo infant seats from that time period have been recalled. Double check to make sure this seat meets current safety standards. If you can swing it, a new infant seat isn't very expensive - they have a scaled-down Graco Snugride at Target for only $60. Good luck!
-Lauren

gour0
01-23-2003, 11:48 PM
The recall was from 95 - 97... I checked. And, it was for the carrying handle, which they later reinforced. Mine says something about the stronger handle right on it.

mama2be
01-24-2003, 10:06 AM
I'm hoping that you can use it...the Wizard should be out the first weeks of March and that was your goal I think...I caved and bought the Marathon but was hoping hte Wizard would be out. I must say once I got the Marathon I haven't looked back on it though...:)...

I bet Toby can give you some direction here...:)

CPSDarren
01-24-2003, 10:52 AM
I do not show any recalls on the carrier. If you have the On My Way Position Right Base (has large red adjustment knob), then it may be recalled. The recall list does not indicate that the 207 models had this base. If in doubt, please call Evenflo to check.

Otherwise, if the seat is in good condition, no crashes, all labels intact, owners manual present, etc, then there is no reason you shouldn't be able to use it. Make sure to read the manual thoroughly, and as you said, make sure it installs well with your child and vehicle.

A friend came over for a checkup the other day and had a 10 year old Century infant seat and I advised that it be destroyed. I had a Century Smart fit from 1998 that was in fine condition, and I had no problem giving it to her.

Darren
www.Car-Safety.Org
DuPage County SAFE KIDS