PDA

View Full Version : Where to go to look for recall info on Evenflo car seat

flagger
01-24-2003, 11:47 AM
My wife picked up an infant car seat at a garage sale four months ago.

It is an Evenflo On My Way Model #206213P2 Mfr. date 11-22-94.

Thanks

momathome
01-24-2003, 12:24 PM
Just so you know, it is not reccomended to use any carseat that is more that 6 years old. I'm pretty sure that almost all infant carseats from that time period have since been recalled for various reasons. New infant seats are not that expensive (Target has a Graco Snugride for $59). See if you can get friends or family to buy you a seat as a baby gift and then you won't even have to worry about it. Good luck!
-Lauren

flagger
01-24-2003, 12:42 PM
Would I be insane to check out Ebay for one?

Something like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2303414337&category=2987

gour0
01-24-2003, 12:52 PM
If it says new in box, and the seller has a good rating, I would think this is a safe bet. If you have any doubts, you can email the seller and ask questions. Like, why was this never used or something...

alandenisefields
01-24-2003, 02:54 PM
Hi!

Thanks for using our message boards.

Info on recalls both past and present are on the Consumer Product Safety Commission's web site at www.cpsc.gov. Evenlfo should also have that info on their web site.

Hope that helps,

alan and denise fields
authors, BABY BARGAINS

flagger
01-24-2003, 03:58 PM
Thanks. I finally figured out the evenflo website and this particular model was not recalled. We have a few more months to decide. Just hate to invest big $$$ in something that will only be used for a few months at most. Have no problem finding one used.

egoldber
01-24-2003, 04:47 PM
I would be concerned buying used because you can't know the history of a seat. A seat that has been in a traffic accident should be replaced. If you buy one used you just can't know. It's different if you use one that a family member or friend loans you and you can trust that the seat has not been in an accident.

Unfortunately, many people are not aware of this and continue to use or sell seats that should be destroyed. A better way to save money would be to borrow one or to just buy a convertible seat to start with.

If you buy on Ebay, like someone else said, I would only buy a new in box seat.

HTH,

cara1
01-24-2003, 07:01 PM
I agree, buying something this important used makes me nervous. They're not that expensive new. If you want, you can get a convertible car seat so that you only have to purchase one seat, but most of us wouldn't recommend that (more for convenience reasons than safety ones).

mamahill
01-24-2003, 07:49 PM
Just a sidenote - you never know how long you'll use the seat. I thought for sure Ainsleigh would grow out of her seat after a few months (I was a big baby, and expected a tubby kid). But she was born small and has continued to grow slowly. As it is, she has finally outgrown (height-wise) her Graco SnugRide at 9 1/2 months. We got WAY more use than we anticipated!

momathome
01-24-2003, 07:49 PM
Also, I know you are concerned that you may only use the seat for a few months, but that really depends on the size of your baby and what seat you get. The new Century and Evenflo seats go to 29inches and 22lbs which will see most babies (particularly girls, who tend to be smaller) through the first 9-12 months. Even the Graco seat, which goes to 20lbs and 26inches, may last you a good 6 months with a girl. My daughter (admitedly on the small side) fit in her Graco Snugride until she was 9 months old. It's really worth getting a new seat - nothing is more important than your baby's safety, particularly when they are this tiny and vulnerable. Good luck!
-Lauren

tobymc
01-24-2003, 09:42 PM
You've gotten quite a bit of good advice, but I'm still moved to offer my 2 cents worth!

Obviously, the garage sale OMW is not a good choice. It is clearly more than 6 years old, which is the longest I recommend a seat be used. There are a number of sources that give the 6 year limit, such as http://www.dps.state.mn.us/trafsafe/childsafety/brochure/index.html .

There are so many old and recalled and unsafe carseats at garage sales that I often take a recall list and a lot of determination when I go garage saling. I'd say that about 10% of the seats I find are OK. It CAN work to buy a garage sale seat - I've done it. You just have to make sure the seat is less than 6 years old, has no recalls, find out from the original owner that the seat has been in no crashes (if the owner is there), and see that the seat is in good condition with all its parts, and so on.

In addition, the OMW that you found has a 3 point harness. You can still find 3 point harnesses, but 5 points are much more common, and I think they provide significant additional safety. You can now also find 5 point infant seats with front harness adjusters, which I think is the best combo.

The Graco SnugRide you found on ebay is certainly a choice. It has a 5 point harness, and a back harness adjuster. I find the back adjuster a total pain, but if you work at it, you CAN adjust the seat properly every day or week. Also, this seat is now at $26 with $16 shipping for a total of $42. That isn't a bad deal, but there are days left to go and a lot of bidders. This seat is very likely to go up a bit before it closes.

If money is an issue (which it is to one degree or another for all of us), you might want to consider a cheaper infant seat new from the store or a convertible. I'm actually a fan of convertibles from birth. I'd rather see a family invest in a good convertible from the start than a cheap infant seat and then a cheap convertible. You might be very happy if you could get one of those non-latch Britax Roundabouts from the Right Start or Zainy Brainy Stores. You could also look at the Graco Comfort Sport or the Evenflo Victory 5. A convertible from birth is not nearly as convenient in the first few months, but families I know who have tried it say it isn't as bad as you'd think. Many of the babies get used to being transfered from the seat to the sling without even waking up. Obviously, using a convertible from birth is easier if you live in a warmer place than I do (Minnesota) and aren't having your baby in winter.

Good luck finding the "best" seat for you.

shibababy
01-25-2003, 02:21 AM
Please do not use this car seat for your baby. You are not talking about money here, you are talking about your child's life. Just as you are being careful to not use baby's name, please be just as careful when placing your child in a car. It has become so commonplace to use the seat as a carrier, that we often forget it's intended purpose. Money can be very tight, but your child's life is priceless. You never know if a used seat has been in an accident, even a minor accident can damage the seat. There are carseats that can be purchased for as low as $50 maybe even lower. You can save $20/mth until baby's birth or register for a car seat (hopefully). Good Luck!

Momof3Labs
01-25-2003, 11:38 AM
Try checking Target - last week my store had a bunch of different Snugrides (with LATCH!!) on clearance for $40-50. That's about the price of anything you'd get NIB off of eBay, once you pay shipping.

I agree that a car seat is one place where I wouldn't buy used (although I would consider borrowing from a close friend/family member) - my baby's safety is just too important to take any chances.

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

KathyO
01-25-2003, 07:55 PM
Hi - I am the Queen of Getting Things Second-Hand, but I'd go new on the carseat. Apart from the safety considerations, as folks have pointed out, there have been some immense usability improvements made in the last few years. The car seat is one of those things you'll hate every time you use it if you get an awkward one.

For purposes of keeping costs down, maybe consider buying new, then selling it later? You, unlike many, will be able to attach the documentation and attest that the seat has been carefully treated, so you'll remain on the side of the angels, in terms of selling a used seat.

Cheers,

KathyO

flagger
01-25-2003, 08:53 PM
Thanks everyone for their input. I was so proud of Ms. Flagger for finding the items she did (high seat, stroller, infant carrier and the car seat) at a garage sale. It was held by a grandmother who had the items for when the grandkids came in to town. They moved right across the street from her in our neighborhood so she had no use for them anymore. They really are all gently used. :)

I don't intend to skimp on the baby's safety, but it interesting to note that a country like Poland has zero car seat usage and somehow my friend in CT survived. :) Somehow I survived without having one either.

I have made contact with that Ebay seller. Turns out she lives in my permanent hometown. Should I win, I can make arrangements to have the seat picked up and either shipped to me free or Ms. Flagger can bring it back with her on her next trip home.

Now don't you ladies go running over to Ebay and boost up the sales price. ;)

egoldber
01-25-2003, 09:20 PM
Flagger, I realize that you were only making a joke. But there are many lurkers who may not realize this or may not have done the research you have, so I thought I would point out this information that I found at www.safekids.org:

"Motor vehicle crashes remain the leading cause of unintentional injury-related death among children ages 14 and under. Child safety seats and safety belts, when correctly installed and used, can prevent injury and save lives. Unrestrained children are more likely to be injured, to suffer more severe injuries and to die in motor vehicle crashes than children who are restrained."

For more info, look here:
http://www.safekids.org/tier3_cd.cfm?content_item_id=1133&folder_id=540

Also, the plastics on a 9 year old seat, even a gently used one, are considered too old for safe usage.

HTH,