PDA

View Full Version : tethering a RF Britax in a '02 Passat Wagon

formybaby
01-28-2003, 04:10 PM
Help!

I have a 2002 VW Passat Wagon and have installed the Britax latch on the outboard driver's side seat.

I have two problems:

#1. How to tether it/is it necessary to tether it? My husband and I both drive the car and need to be able to move the drivers seat. I would prefer to keep her on the driver's side of the car (ok, for convenience sake, but if there is no other option, i will move her to the other side of the car)

#2. HOw do I know what angle to place the seat? I have the seat reclined, with a noodle and rolled up towel under it and she still seems to be a bit forward.

Pleae help!

Thanks

Karen

KCR4
01-29-2003, 12:22 AM
I have a '99 VW Passat wagon.

The VW toll free customer service center (800/822-8987) has several reps with special training in child passenger safety (ask for them). They were very helpful when I called with specific questions about installing my Britax RA.

Yes, tethering makes the seat more secure and gets that angle/recline you want! However, at least in my wagon, I tether rear-facing (outboard on the passenger-side) to a large horizontal bar under the passenger front seat (and then push back the front seat to brace the RA). Thus, I cannot move the front passenger seat. Check Toby's database for Britax seats and the VW wagon at www.CarSeatData.org

Here is a website that has some good pictures of rear-facing tethering of Britax seats....
http://www.angelfire.com/wa3/isakswings/carseatpages.html

The Britax website www.BritaxUSA.com may also have some photos of rear-facing tethering. I haven't looked in a while and they redesigned their site. But it's worth a look.