PDA

View Full Version : Buying A Car Seat From Ebay

cthuynh91
02-01-2003, 09:05 PM
Does any one have any experience with buying "brand new" products, esp. car seats, from Ebay? The price seems very reasonable but I have read a lot of problems with frauds and unethical sellers passing off inferior products on the site. While these articles were focused on computers, I'm concerned that I could be endangering my DS in the process of trying to save a few dollars in buying car seats or anything baby-related. Any information would be hugely appreciated!

stillplayswithbarbies
02-01-2003, 11:09 PM
I have bought nearly everything on eBay. :) I got my FP Stay In View brand new, and it arrived just as described, sealed in the box. I got my Bertini Stroller on eBay, same thing.

Just like anything else on eBay, you have to read the seller's feedback and decide if it is someone you feel you can trust before you place your bid. There are a lot of companies selling on eBay now, so it isn't just some person selling off their used stuff.

Got most of my nursery bedding and decor there too. The only problem I have had so far is a "handcrafted" quilt that turned out to be mass produced in a factory in China. It's nice, just not what I thought I was buying.

This is an eBay baby. :)

...Karen
Mom to Jake age 12 and expecting Logan Elizabeth or Logan Bartholomew, EDD March 21

flagger
02-01-2003, 11:26 PM
I just bought a Graco SnugRide Friday night off of Ebay. Seller had good feedback and in the payment options, it allows for Credit card purchases. If there are any problems, I will dispute the charge on my credit card.

Will let you know how it goes when it arrives.

mama2be
02-02-2003, 08:21 PM
I too bought my Bertini stroller on Ebay from a distributer that sells them new...mind you he sells several of them and is a distributer. I'd see if this seller looks likethey are indeed a distributer or are they someone who bought it and just never used it and sold it. In that case check their feed backs carefully (like everyone is saying)and you'll have to weigh it based on that.

In my Bertini case he also sells car seats (if it is [email protected]) I was happy with him. Upon calling Bertini directly they also told me he is one of their sellers.

I had called them becaseu it arrived slightly damaged (not his fault) and Bertini replaced the part directly not him...make certain that you know the course of action if something like that were to happen too...:)

Good luck!!!

stillplayswithbarbies
02-03-2003, 03:10 PM
Yes, that is who I bought my Bertini from too, and was very happy with the whole transaction.

...Karen
Mom to Jake age 12 and expecting Logan Elizabeth or Logan Bartholomew, EDD March 21

blnony
02-04-2003, 09:16 AM
We bought our Roundabout on ebay from a authorized dealer. He uses ebay as his online store, and also has a brick and morter store. It arrived sealed and brand new in the Britax box with everything there. We registered it with Britax and it was fine. Just look for a power seller or email them to see if they have a real store and use ebay for their online store before you bid.

MartiesMom2B
02-04-2003, 10:42 AM
I just looked up new items from Ebay and [email protected] has a store in which you can browse all the items that he has available. It looks like a good deal for some of the items too.

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

mama2be
02-04-2003, 06:25 PM
I also was aware of his products (from lurking on Ebay) and when I was ready to make my purchase he did not have the Bertini Monaco listed "in his store"...but I emailed him directly and he had one. So if you see soemthing you want by the people he distributes for email him even if you don't see it...

I haven't been to his site in while, BUT when I called Bertini directly (they are very nice), one of the guys there said they could not match Mike's price (MIke is [email protected]), that made me convinced I was getting a good deal :)...

flagger
02-05-2003, 06:51 PM
I bought a Graco DX5 Carseat from the seller babysurplus on Ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2305777859 I received a callback on Monday morning to give payment and shipping instructions and I just received it today (Wednesday) from NYC. $64.99 with shipping because I used BUY IT NOW instead of waiting. This car seat appears there quite frequently with a first bid price of $39.99. Hence the Surplus in Baby Surplus. The box had "inspected with a check" written in Green ink on the side and had been retaped. The receipt on the INSIDE of the box (hence the tape) has the name of the store as ALBEE in NYC.

Inside was a Model A8458AE manufactured 061101, so a 19 month old car seat. Checking the www.gracobaby.com website, it was under the affected models for the recall. There were instructions to print or read about how to check if this needed to replaced. All the items listed were indeed in place so this is NOT affected by the recall. It has the turn knob on the base with the level indicator on the side.

Just thought I would pass along my experience.

cthuynh91
02-06-2003, 11:18 PM
Brianna -

Did you buy from [email protected] like every one did too or someone else? I'm definitely interested in getting a Britax Galaxy. Which one did you get and how much was it? The Britax seem so expensive but I guess it's worth it given the glowing reviews. Thanks.

Eilly
02-07-2003, 08:59 AM
I bought my Fisher Price SIV from Ebay and was delighted with the transaction. Especially since this model of car seat is unavailable in stores now. It was described as new in box and that is how it arrived. Bought a Tiny Love Symphony in Motion mobile too, again no problmes. Also just bought a stroller on Ebay too, waiting for it to be delivered. Check the feedback on the seller. Good luck.

zen_bliss
02-14-2003, 03:04 AM
i bought my fisher price stay-in-view car seat on eBay from a woman who was selling a bunch of them. she knew a good thing when she saw it and cleaned out the stock at her local Big Lots. : ) it was clearly brand new and never opened and i am delighted to have one.

i also bought a discontinued but brand new in box stroller from [email protected]. the frame was warped on arrival and i am waiting to hear back from the manufacturer for a replacement. mgm1997 (mike) responds impressively quickly and seems to have just about everything. there is also a seller called babysurplus who seems to have good stock. check the other items for sale and feedback. in general, i feel confident if someone is selling a lot of new in box items, rather than an individual who might call a slightly used item new meaning 'good as new' which is not the same thing when there is a safety concern!