PDA

View Full Version : What makes Expressway IsoFIT

darisgin
02-03-2003, 04:14 PM
In addition to the new rigid LATCH Britax Expressway IsoFIX I just received, I also have the older Expressway IsoFIT (soft LATCH, with HUGS). Even though it uses a standard Britax shell with routing for rear-facing, the safety stickers and owner's manual indicate "front facing only"

Can anyone give a *technical* explanation of the dangers of using this in the rear-facing position?

Additionally, I am so happy with the new IsoFIX and the retailer ($189 w/shipping included - a $30 discount) that I will plug them below:

http://www.travelingtikes.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/britaxexpressway.htm?L+scstore+mdch6167ff2d572d+10 44530449

CPSDarren
02-04-2003, 01:18 AM
Hi-

Unfortunately, the Expressway ISOFIX does not even have a seatbelt routing path for rear-facing use. Though it is similar in design to the shell of a convertible like the Roundabout, the Roundabout does have slots for such a routing path. It also has locking clips mounted on the front for this rear-facing routing path, and LATCH attachments that can be converted to hold the seat while rear-facing.

With the Expressway Isofix, there is no routing path at all like there is on the Britax convertibles for rear-facing use. There are also no LATCH attachments for rear-facing use. I suppose you could technically use put the seat in rear-facing and route the seatbelt behind the Expressway, and use the seatbelt path meant for front facing. It would be very questionable if you could get a tight installation this way, and the seat is very unlikely to have been crash tested in this manner. It is even less likely to have passed such a test. So, your child would end up being the crash test dummy in such a scenario:-(

As to why Britax did not choose to include the rear-facing routing path and features on these seats, I do not know. Maybe it was for safety, perhaps there was a concern about possible misuse, or perhaps it is marketing. If you are considering using this seat rear-facing, please also contact Britax first and see what they have to say...

I also like the Expressway ISOFIX. I have a review here:
http://www.epinions.com/content_84336086660

Darren
www.Car-Safety.Org
DuPage County SAFE KIDS

darisgin
02-04-2003, 08:31 AM
Read your review - it was your write-up that led me to purchase the IsoFIX (Why can't they standardize these names?) - I added a comment to your review when I read it.

Yes, the rigid LATCH Expressway has no facility for rear-facing, but as I look at the soft-LATCH Expressway, it does appear to have the routing (although not the lock-offs).

Not a big deal, I wasn't planning on testing it. I just don't see why it was engineered this way (unless the cost of the LATCH connectors--and Britax' are the best--made them want to save pennies in other ways...).

Thanks for the response. BTW, the rigid LATCH Expressway is great - solidly connected to the car, and my daughter likes it. I *still* wish Britax could have imported their Bobsy G-1 (made for VWs); my friend has one and installation is even easier than for the Expressway (which can be annoying before you get the hang of it).

CPSDarren
02-04-2003, 01:10 PM
Hi-

I'm glad my review helped!

I did not have the earlier Expressway ISOFIT. I do know it was essentially similar to the Freeway Plus, and that it really did share a shell even more similar to the Roundabout.

I don't know why they didn't provide the features to allow these seats to be used as convertibles. Perhaps it was cost and marketing so they could sell them for a bit less than the Roundabout. In addition to the parts costs, also consider the extra testing and certification involved. Obviously, if they had the same features as a Roundabout for less money, there would be no reason to buy a Roundabout:-)

I also note that a retrofit kit was never made for the older Roundabout, even though it is clear that they could have made one for front-facing use as they did with the Expressway ISOFIT. Perhaps there was an issue with a rear-facing LATCH system on these earlier models? I really don't know...

It will be interesting to see the first convertible carseat design with rigid LATCH for both front AND rear facing!

Darren
www.Car-Safety.Org
DuPage County SAFE KIDS