PDA

View Full Version : Got the RA, but should we also get an infant seat?

natividad
02-04-2003, 08:19 AM
I bought the Britax RA non-latch for $99 at Zany Brainy since we are going to need it after the baby outgrows the infant seat. Well, I had my shower this weekend and we did not get the Graco Snugride seat we were registered for. Should we go ahead and purchase the Snugride (which sells for $90), or just keep the RA as our only car seat? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

P.S. I drive a '02 Honda Accord EX. Any experiences with the RA not fitting well in an Accord?

Naty (March 03)

Rachels
02-04-2003, 11:26 AM
The RA is fine for use with newborns, but personally, I found an infant seat REALLY valuable in the beginning. My daughter was none too happy about being strapped into her seat-- I can't imagine if I'd had to strap and unstrap and restrap her every time I needed to run into the drugstore. I'd get the infant seat!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

juliasdad
02-04-2003, 12:17 PM
I agree. We just started using the RA at 4.5 months, and we lament the loss of our SnugRide! There are some things that are very convenient about it; like being able to buckle her up and unbuckle her while in the house, like not having to wake her every time we move her, etc. A SnugRide, in combination with a stroller frame like the Kolcraft Universal Car Seat Carrier, is absolutely wonderful.

-dan

stillplayswithbarbies
02-04-2003, 12:43 PM
We just went to a Car Seat Safety class last night and the instructor said that the Roundabout is not suitable for most newborns because the lowest slot is too high. If the straps are above the shoulders, the seat is too big for the baby, even if they are within the weight limits. She had some lifesize baby dolls that everyone tried in their seats, and the Britax seats were all too big.

I'm glad we got an infant seat to use first. The Roundabout will be for later.

She told us that the hospital would not let us leave with the baby if all we had was the Roundabout because the baby would not fit. (unless we have an unusually tall newborn).

...Karen
Mom to Jake age 12 and expecting Logan Elizabeth or Logan Bartholomew, EDD March 21

CPSDarren
02-04-2003, 04:53 PM
While it is good advice, this information is not completely accurate.

It certainly is best if the harness slots are at or below the shoulders while rear-facing. This is the general recommendation. On the other hand, the most important thing is to follow the directions in the owner's manual. Unless the manual says that your baby should not use the carseat because of weight, height, harness strap position or other restrictions, then it is acceptable to use the carseat.

That said, some seats do fit newborns and small infants better than others. Even a few infant carriers don't fit small infants real well. Similarly, some convertibles do fit newborns quite well.

As a side note, it is highly unlikely that a hospital could legally prevent you from leaving with your baby (even for medical reasons!). They could certainly try to advise you about the safety issues, of course, and report you to the police if you are actually breaking any state or local laws. For liability reasons, they will do everything they can to show they did counsel you on correct use, and document it for their records. It might also be a hassle to have an officer stop you on your first trip home with baby to give you a carseat inspection:-) Even if this is a misuse according to the owner's manual, it is probably not going to violate laws in many areas. I'm not advising you try this, of course!

Both infant carrier and convertible rear-facing carseats are inherently very safe and can also be somewhat more forgiving of harness issues ( http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html ). The Roundabout and other rear-facing convertibles can fit newborns acceptably depending on size and weight. Obviously, there may be better choices for small newborns.

Darren
www.Car-Safety.Org
DuPage County SAFE KIDS

jd11365
02-04-2003, 08:13 PM
What Zany Brainy did you get the $99 non-latch Roundabout??? What a great price!

stillplayswithbarbies
02-04-2003, 10:00 PM
Very interesting, Darren, thanks for your response. The person who taught the class is a certified car seat technician, so I assumed she knew what she was talking about. (she is also a doula and the head of the maternity ward). She did say that the hospital would lend you a seat if yours was found to be unsuitable for your baby.

...Karen
Mom to Jake age 12 and expecting Logan Elizabeth or Logan Bartholomew, EDD March 21

tobymc
02-04-2003, 10:06 PM
Several families I know have used a convertible from birth. All of them have used the Britax Marathon, which does have lower slots than the RA, but the convertible deal is about the same.

What I've suggested is that the families bring a copy of their inspection report to the hospital with them. I don't usually give parents back a copy of the report, but it seemed worth the hassle this time. That way, the nurses don't have to wonder if the family has a seat or if it is installed correctly. They'll know.

I do actually think that using a convertible from birth is a fine idea. Many babies fit OK at birth, and quite well soon after. Many families can't afford both an easy to use but more expensive convertible AND an infant seat. Of course, the infant seat is more convenient at first, and the baby will also fit better at birth, so there are trade offs. Up here in the cold north, an infant seat can be well worth it. But even here I know folks who have used a convertible from birth quite successfully.

natividad
02-06-2003, 09:38 AM
Thank you all for the responses, they have been very helpful. Well, we have not made a decision on what to do, but we will definitely intall the RA next week in our car. We will see how it goes for the first week or two after we deliver.

Naty (March 03)

natividad
02-06-2003, 09:41 AM
There are some Zany Brainy stores that are closing out here in the DC metro area. I got the RA at the store in Springfield, VA. Hope that helped.

Naty (March 03)

jenfed
02-07-2003, 01:28 PM
I'd go with an infant seat...when you start going out, it makes it easier to have a compact place to put the baby...I didn't keep my dd in it for very long stretches, but I too was so sad when she outgrew hers. It really did come in handy. And being able to snap it in and out of the car so easily was priceless.

nicksmom
02-09-2003, 11:09 PM
We just moved our DS from his infant seat to the RA this week. Can not imagine how difficult life would have been without the infant seat. It is hard now to unstrap, take him out, etc. at 7 months, it would have been really painful to do so when he was 7 days or 7 weeks old. I would definitely recommend getting an infant seat. Also, if you want to go to the supermarket, etc. you can just put the infant seat on the shopping cart. Can't do that with the big convertibles! We have not gone shopping since we gave up the infant seat! :-)

mam615
02-10-2003, 12:18 AM
I too have found the Snugride invaluable -- especially in cold weather. Sadly, I'm going to have to give it up soon because my girl is closing in on 20 lbs at only 4 mos.

The infant seat is a necessity for when you go out to restaurants or to visit someone else's house. You need a place for baby to sit before she is able to sit up on her own.