PDA

View Full Version : What kind of car seat do I get after the infant one?

CarolynRS1
02-04-2003, 02:55 PM
I have a 6 month old DD who is going to be grown out of her infant seat very soon.

I do not even know WHERE to begin with looking for a new car seat for her. Right now she has a Peg Perego infant seat, that came with the Pilko Stroller.

Which are the most comfortable? Which are the safest? How long is my baby's car seat suppose to last her?

I lent my Baby Bargains Book to a friend so I am totally lost!

Thanks!
Carolyn
...mom to Kirsten, 8/4/02

KCR4
02-04-2003, 03:10 PM
There are a couple great websites for you below...You want to read about "convertible seats" on these websites -- which can be used rear- and forward-facing. I switched my son (now 18 mo) to a convertible ,a Britax Roundabout or "RA", at 5 or 6 months. He can rear-face comfortably til about 2, if I should choose to keep him rear-facing that long. He can ride forward-facing in the RA til about 3 1/2 yrs or so, but I'm not totally sure on that age-wise (the max weight is 40 lbs and he is 26 lbs now). The Britax Marathon is another convertible (newer) that you should look at too. I want to get one for baby #2. All my friends have a Britax in their primary car. They are great.

www.CarSeatData.org
www.CPSafety.com
www.car-safety.org

And for photos of kids in the Britax seats:
http://www.angelfire.com/wa3/isakswings/carseatpages.html

Use the search feature for this message board for previous strands about convertible seats (ie the advantages of particular models etc)

Tondi G
02-04-2003, 08:36 PM
Call your local Right Start store, If you have one, and ask if they have any of the Non-Latch roundabouts still in stock.... they are going for 139.99!!! If not look into the Latch Roundabout or the Marathon.... they really are great seats, easy to use, have the most padding and will be comfy for your child!!!!

Other than that some people have the Graco Comfort Sport and love it!!! There are also some good Evenflo seats out there as well!

Good Luck!
~Tondi

Rachels
02-04-2003, 09:07 PM
We have the RA, too, and it's fabulous-- comfortable, plush, easy to install, tethers in the rearfacing position, has no-twist straps...the list goes on and on. It's a great seat.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

mamahill
02-04-2003, 09:13 PM
I bought the RA from The Right Start for $139 and it is FABULOUS! Granted, I haven't tried any others, but I have no complaints. Well, just one - I wish Britax offered a matching leopard-print seat cover for me! LOL! The seat was easy to install, very plush, the straps haven't twisted on me yet, Ainsleigh sleeps well in it, it's not as wide as the infant seat base from what I can tell, etc. etc. Love it! No buyer's remorse here :).