PDA

View Full Version : Peg Pliko Trek or Maclaren Techno XT ???

cmesharpe
02-07-2003, 08:56 PM
My son is currently 3 1/2 months old and I've been using the snap-n-go to cart him around. It is very lightweight, and I've loved it. However, he is starting to get big and I'm considering either the Peg Perego Pliko Trek or the Maclaren Techno XT.

I am 5'1" tall and 120 lbs, so handle height and overall stroller weight is a concern. I've heard great things about both of the these strollers, and am having a hard time deciding between the 2.

The Pliko seems to be about 4 lbs heavier than the Maclaren, which makes a difference when your my size. But, I've heard that the Maclaren seats are not good for children under 6 months, due to a slope; however, I no nothing of whether the seats on the Pliko Trek are good for a child under 6 months.

My other concern about the strollers is that the Peg has a napper bar, where the Maclaren does not. Is this something I should concern myself with?? I've heard some parents say this is important, while others have told me that they never felt it was a concern.

Anyone who has experience with either of these strollers, or advice on which to get (or not to get), I'd love to hear from you. Please advise.

Many thanks!
Catherine

Momof3Labs
02-07-2003, 09:09 PM
You might want to post this question on the stroller board. But as someone with a four month old, here's my take on it:

Your baby is too young for a Maclaren. They just can't sit right in them this young - I've heard to wait until they start walking (so, around a year).

The Pliko reclines fully, so you could use that right now. We have one, and Colin is quite comfy in it - he likes to sit up, and when he gets tired of that, we recline it for him. Colin always hated bouncy seats and we moved him out of his infant car seat because he wanted to sit more upright. Even in our arms, he pulls himself upright. So, even if the Maclaren was suited for babies this young, I think he would have hated it because it forces the babies to sit back instead of upright. The Pliko allows him to sit upright, and soon he'll be able to sit forward and hold the napper bar.

Another to consider is the Chicco 2002 - I've heard great things about it, but found a better deal on the Pliko. Or the Peg Perego Aria, which weighs in at only 9 pounds (Colin does fine in ours as long as we keep it reclined).

HTH!

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

Tondi G
02-08-2003, 02:29 PM
My vote would be with the Pliko! My son absolutely hated the seating on Macs and was a much happier baby in his Pliko! I am 5'5" and lift it into my SUV regularly.... it has the carry handle that makes it easier! The front napper bar is great ....we attatched a stroller toy bar that has a snack cup frog and a cup holder for bottles and sippy cups.... also has a musical bear and a ring stacker..... our son LOVES it!

I would rather buy the Pliko with the flat seat with a little extra weight than buy a Mac and take the chance that baby won't like it... then you'll be pushing the stroller and carrying baby all over (maybe thats why they made sure Macs are so easy to steer one handed... hehe!)

Good Luck.... I don't think you would be dissappointed with the Pliko.... we never have enough good things to say about ours to other people that ask! We use ours indoors and outdoors and it is great... handles the sidewalks in Los Angeles no problem!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01!

Tondi G
02-08-2003, 02:31 PM
One more stroller to consider..... The Inglesina Zippy... much like the pliko but offers a one handed fold and people say it steers very well! It also takes any infant seat!

~Tondi