PDA

View Full Version : Extra Padding??

todzwife
02-08-2003, 12:06 AM
I just can't see how it can be comfy to sit in one of those infant seats for very long. None of them are very plush. Of course the more expensive ones are better, but with the budget we are on, I got the SIV at Big Lots. It has really thin padding. Is there anything I can do about this? Can I add some batting underneath or something? I guess a nice cushy diaper would help. :) Any suggestions? Of course I wouldn't want to do anything that could compromise the safety of the seat. Any ideas would be great! Thanks a bunch!
Shandelle :)

Momof3Labs
02-08-2003, 12:41 AM
You really shouldn't add any padding because that could compromise your baby during a crash. We had a SIV also, and there seemed to be sufficient padding (consider also the foam that is on the plastic shell). Colin didn't complain about it until he was almost 4 months old and just getting too big to be comfortable in the seat. The solution, really, is to minimize your baby's time in the seat - move them to a stroller or carrier when out, and don't get them in the habit of sleeping in it at home. Sometimes that is easier said than done, though!

The closer you look at baby stuff (crib, cradle/bassinet, swing, bouncy seat), the more you'll realize that they aren't heavily padded, but babies still seem to do just fine!

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

mcmorfit
02-08-2003, 08:04 AM
I second what Lori stated - not to add any "extra" padding. When we had our car seat installed by a State Trooper, I asked him that very question and he said that the more padding you add the greater risk the baby is. Due to the fact that it is not part of the orginal cover, it can move around.

HTH.

Ellen
EDD: 02/23/03

todzwife
02-08-2003, 06:50 PM
Thanks. That's was my initial thought was, but I though I would ask. Thanks!
Shandelle :)