PDA

View Full Version : Air Bag Compatible Car Seat

mamicka
02-11-2003, 03:54 PM
I apologize if someone has already talked about this, I searched and couldn't find anything posted...

I've come across the Air Bag Compatible Car Seat from XPORTATION SAFETY CONCEPT online & wondered if anyone had any information about this. Its quite expensive but you also seem to get much more of a car seat compared to other infant car seats. So it appears to be worth it if everything I've read is true. Does anyone have first-hand experience with this seat?

I'm expecting my first in June & won't be buying a car seat until late May at the earliest.

Thanks for any input!
- Mamicka

egoldber
02-11-2003, 03:57 PM
I am not sure what they mean by "air bag compatible". You should NEVER install a rearfacing carseat in a seat that has an active airbag.

Edited to add: I just checked out this product at TheRightStart.com. It does say it is approved for this use, but BOY would I be REALLY leery. Especially if you have an older car with one of the more forceful air bags. Air bags used today have less explosive power than older ones.

There is more info here: http://www.cpsboard.org/pdf/techreport/techreportspring02.pdf

Also $225 seems like an awful lot of money for a rearfacing only carseat.

HTH,

Joolsplus2
02-11-2003, 04:39 PM
There is even a sticker on this seat, just like every other rearfacing carseat, that warns against using it in front of an airbag. In some states, the law demands "correct use" of a child restraint, and if you are found to have that sticker warning against using it in a seat with an airbag, and yet it IS in that position, you can be ticketed for improper use. I'm sure there are situations (older truck or sportscar without an airbag switch, for instance) where this seat is appropriate, but if you have a backseat, that is a much safer place for a child to ride. Julie

CPSDarren
02-11-2003, 06:40 PM
This is a nice model. The isolated carrier with protective shell does appear to provide an extra element of safety. Of course, when properly used, any rear-facing seat is inherently very safe.

Putting any child 12 years or less in the front seat should be an absolute last resort. This seat does fill a niche for those with no back seat, who may not for some reason have had their airbag disabled. It could also provide this extra element of safety in front or rear seats that are extremely small, even if no airbag is present.

A couple disadvantages include that the carrier cannot be installed as a child restraint by itself; the shell must be used at all times. Also, the carrier is quite narrow and may not fit bigger babies well.

It is good to see manufacturers coming up with new designs. While state and federal regulations may be a little behind in some areas, it is still a plus to have innovation like this seat. That said, I would not use this seat in front unless I had no option in the back seat. As mentioned, it may in fact be illegal to use in the front seat in some states, especially if an active airbag is present.

Darren
www.Car-Safety.Org
DuPage County SAFE KIDS

Momof3Labs
02-11-2003, 07:00 PM
To me, this looks like complete overkill on the car seat front (and I am a safety freak when it comes to car seats), unless your car is one of the exceptions that Darren notes. Even with the air bag protection, your baby is MUCH safer in the back seat - the air bag isn't the only threat to front seat passengers!

JMO!

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

mamicka
02-12-2003, 10:08 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I never intended to put my baby in the front seat... We have an Accord & an Explorer so no problem there. I was more curious about how it compares safety-wise in a crash, compared to the other car seats like the Graco Snugride which seems to be very popular. Its obviously not as convenient because it can't be used as a car seat without the base. But is it truly safer in crash tests as the company claims?

CPSDarren
02-12-2003, 12:42 PM
There is little comparative information available. The company does claim that their seat will meet future standards, though that doesn't necessarily indicate that it is safer. Used correctly, all current rear-facing child restraints are very safe. It is possible this model may have a slight advantage, but only you can decide if it is worth the extra cost based on the manufacturer's claims.

Darren
www.Car-Safety.Org
DuPage County SAFE KIDS