PDA

View Full Version : Installing convertible seats

zbird
04-28-2003, 05:48 PM
Is it recommended to have a car seat installed professionally and if so, any recommendations on where to go? I've heard that the police or fire depts will do it for free but I've also heard that all they do is check it, not install it. Finally, once installed, can you remove it for trips and reinstall it youself or do you have to start back from scratch with professional installation each time?

Momof3Labs
04-28-2003, 06:09 PM
You can use this link to find a car seat inspector near you:

www.seatcheck.com

I prefer to install the seat myself and then have it checked. I don't know how you could get by not knowing how to install the car seat - what if you have to do it some time and can't get to a "professional" to install it (like at the airport, or with a rental car)? Also, it is important to check the seat at each use to make sure it hasn't shifted or loosened. If you don't know how to install the seat, how could you correct the problem?

That's JMO, but a pretty strong one at that - DH is a fireman and paramedic and can tell too many stories about improperly installed car seats.

egoldber
04-28-2003, 07:19 PM
Definitely find someplace that will teach YOU to install the seat, not install it for you. You need to know how to do it yourself.

kristine_elen
04-29-2003, 08:29 AM
It's actually seatcheck.org

spencersmommy
04-30-2003, 09:27 PM
Hello, I would have the car seat installed and/or checked b/c 9 out of 10 car seats installed improperly. You can make an appt. with the Highway patrol. However, I live in Southern Cal and it can take a while...one place said 1 month, but we called another and got an ppt. in 3 weeks (hours only during my and DH work hours, so I'll be on maternity leave.) Good luck! :-)
Amy