PDA

View Full Version : Britax RA or MA

kcampo
04-29-2003, 12:18 PM
I currently have a Cosco Alpha Omega which we've had over a year. My son is now 19 1/2 months weighs 28lbs and measures 34in. I just got the new BB and noticed the AO got such a poor rating. I've hated the twisty straps since day 1, but he's seemed fine in it. I've noticed that the straps are just below his shoulders and I don't think it adjusts anymore (as mentioned in BB). So, now I want to buy him a new seat. I should also mention I'm due anytime w/baby #2 (newborn will be in a Peg Perego infant seat). So, my point, I'm wondering if I should buy a RA and use it w/my 1st until baby #2 is 20 lbs (son #1 hit 20lbs/26in @ 4 months) and then buy a MA for #1. Or should I just buy MA now for #1 and a RA later for #2?

Size should not be an issue, I have a 2001 Ford F150 Super Crew.

Any suggestions?

Kathe

Momof3Labs
04-29-2003, 03:02 PM
Or you could just buy a Marathon now and a Marathon later since it sounds like you have taller babies...

It doesn't seem like you could go wrong with any of your options - if your second baby hits 20 lbs at 4 months, you are only talking about a few months, anyways. Do what works for you!

twinsmommy627
04-29-2003, 04:11 PM
You could buy 2 Marathons now at Babies R Us and fudge and say it's for twins and get a 10% discount (trying to be creative to save you $) Or maybe BRU will give you 10% if you buy 2 of the same thing.

Tondi G
04-29-2003, 05:19 PM
I would either buy 2 marathons... be sur ethey have the under routing and avoid the problems others are having!

Or buy an RA now and a MA later when maybe they will have worked all the bugs out!!! Either way... with Britax seats you can't go wrong though in the long run just getting 2 MA's will save you having to possibly buy a combo booster seat later on! Good Luck!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01!

kcampo
04-30-2003, 10:44 PM
Thanks so much for the advice. I went ahead and bought the Marathon at USA Baby today. FYI for anyone interested, Babies R Us sells all their Marathons for $249. They sell one pattern "racer" in gray and black that no one else seems to have. USA Baby sells the "stormy" and "maverick" patterns for $229 and the "fido" pattern for $239.

I checked the seat. It was manufactured March 12, 2003 and is routed "under".

Kathe :)

gravymommy3
05-01-2003, 01:39 PM
So which pattern did you get? Do tell. I have Fido and I love it but I have seen Stormy and it is beautiful (but after my wrecking crew gets done messing up a cover, it really could have started out all black and been better off :) ) Good luck with your seat and your upcoming arrival.

smomom
05-02-2003, 10:01 AM
I needed 2 convertible car seats - one for my car and one for DH. I went with a Marathon for me and a RA for his. I wish I had just paid the few extra bucks for the Marathon. I really like it better.

if you're looking at buying 2 Marathons, you may want to look at www.babycatalog.com. They have the Marathon in 3 fabrics for $229. You can pay $25 for a one year membership which will give you a 10% discount on all purchases - including your Marathon purchases. The $25 membership will be offset by the 10% discount on the first Marathon and the second will end up costing you a little over $200 following the 10% discount. They also offer free shipping on the Britax seats and depending on where you live - no sales tax to boot!

it's worth checking out.....

ATJ71
05-02-2003, 03:33 PM
Enjoyed your post and follow up responses, the whole MA vs. RA has been eating at me for over a month..........please refer to post "my local store thinks I am crazy".

I have finally decided on the MARATHON. Went to get it installed today and the installer took the day of :-)! I did however learn that only BRU has access to the "racer" print, not other independent stores, so I am settling for the "stormy" print. I hope I don't regret it, as it may get dirty.

I did hear that you can purchase covers? Am I right?

ALI, future owner of a MARATHON and proud of it

kcampo
05-02-2003, 06:13 PM
I bought the Fido. It looks really nice, my husband likes the soft feel. Although buying 2 seats was a great suggestion, we just didn't have the storage room for the 2nd seat. Baby 2 will be in a 2001 Primo Viaggio (purchased new on Ebay for $70). I bought the new adjustable base at BRU for $50 and plan to sell the surefix base on Ebay or resale. We had a Graco Snug Ride for my 1st son, but we decided on the Peg Perego Duette stroller for the two kids. The Primo Viaggio will clip in the back and my son can ride up front either facing me or away. Its pretty big and bulky, but I guess it is the "cadillac" of double strollers.

Sorry to stray from the subject.

gravymommy3
05-02-2003, 08:02 PM
Ali,

The stormy print is SOOO much prettier than the racer print, IMO. It may get dirty, but even dirty it will be nicer looking. Have fun!