PDA

View Full Version : trucks and car seats...

mommy_someday
05-01-2003, 09:01 PM
My husband and I do not have children yet, but are thinking of starting a family in the next couple of years. We're looking at getting a Toyota Tacoma, but we're wondering if you can put a car seat in the back of the extended cab (not the four door version). Is this at all feasible? If not, are there any extended cab trucks that are compatible with car seats?

Thanks!

Erica B.

Jodi
05-02-2003, 08:49 AM
My daughter's Graco SnugRide fits perfectly in the back of my husband's Ford F-150 extended cab--especially because the seat is a bench seat and therefore doesn't have any contours that get in the way of a solid install--unlike our BMW. I haven't tried to install her Britax in his truck yet, we just keep an extra base installed in there. Also, even though the F-150 is technically a 2 door, once the doors are opened, there are two additional doors that swing out to provide better access to the back seat--which make life so much easier.

I think that the Tacoma is similar in size to the F-150, in that there is an actual seat or bench in the back-- I've been told that you don't want a truck with "jumper" seats, the seats that are sideways (each seat faces the center of the vehicle rather than towards the windshield--smaller extended cabs like those on the Ford Ranger have these) something to do with the way carseats are designed to withstand impacts--I'm sure there are others on this board who can explain more about this.

HTH,
Jodi
Ella's mom

mommy_someday
05-02-2003, 10:37 PM
Jodi,

Thanks for the info - we're test-driving the Tacoma tomorrow morning so I will find out if it has a bench or jumper seats. Sadly, I don't think it has those extra doors when the main 2 are opened. At least it won't be the main mode of transportation as I drive an Accord and the truck would be my hubby's vehicle (I'd ideally like to be a SAHM so I'd have the chitlins more than my hubby would). BTW, what does all this DH, DD, and DS stuff mean - I'm new to all of this and while I've figured out some of the longer acronyms, I haven't decoded these yet.

Thanks again!

Erica

mharling
05-03-2003, 12:19 AM
I'm not Jodi, but can respond to your question.

Dd - Dear daughter
Ds - Dear son
Dh - Dear husband

Welcome to the boards!

Mary
Mommy to Lane Michael 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b33928e40550

Jodi
05-03-2003, 05:26 PM
Sorry that I didn't get a chance to respond, but glad that someone was kind enough to answer your question about the acronyms :)--you'll find the people on this board are absolutely wonderful and an absolute treasure trove of information!

Also, if the truck isn't your primary vehicle then the 2 extra doors won't be as important, just nice to have as they make life a little bit easier when strapping the little ones in their cars. Good luck with the new truck!

Jodi
Ella's Mom

mommy_someday
05-03-2003, 07:01 PM
Jodi,

We did end up buying the truck today and it doesn't have the jumper seats - hooray! - although it isn't a bench seat either. The sales agent at the dealership said that we shouldn't have any trouble installing a child safety seat in the back - but I don't know that he would be an expert in that department. Still, I'm happy that something should fit. Thanks for all your input!

Mary - thanks for your speedy reply about the acronyms! It was helpful!

Erica B.