PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using the Cosco Alpha Omega?

flagger
05-20-2003, 01:12 PM
Quite honestly a Britax is just not in our budget. We have registered it for it but since we have the SnugRide it is not a MUST purchase for now. Wondering if there is anyone that has used one and what they thought about it real life situations. Having the higher forward weight limit is a selling point over the Evenflo Triumph.

No we are not getting the Eddie Bauer 3-in-1. I refuse to pay $20-30 more just for the name. ;)

Stpatrick_Aidan
05-20-2003, 02:37 PM
You mean a higher rearfacing weight limit right? The forward weight limits are the same 40 lb with the harness but if you count the booster ability of the Alpha Omega than that would be 80 lb. Here is a review of this seat. I do not have this seat and quite frankly I do not see it as a good buy because it is not the only seat you will need, which is exactly why I never bought one when I was in the market. You child will likely outgrow this seat before they are old enough to use it in booster mode and then you will have to buy another seat to harness them until they are 4yrs and 40 lb. I personally think the Britax is a better buy especially the Marathon because it will be the last harnessed seat you will buy and then you buy a backless booster for $20 at a later time. Here is the link. http://messageboards.ivillage.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=iv-ppcarseats&msg=31985.34&redirCnt=1

momathome
05-20-2003, 03:50 PM
I really make it a point to avoid all things Cosco - their recall history is dispicable and they have also been known to withold information on products that they know are dangerous. No, you do not need to spend money on Britax if you don't have it, but if there is anyway you can pull it off, this seat is well worth it ("suggest" to grandparents/family members how helpful it would be if they went in on the carseat for you, or, ask for Babies R Us/Toys R US gift cards as baby presents). Seats like the Evenflo Triumph or the Graco Comfort Sport would certainly do the trick, they just don't have the kind of features that Britax has. Good luck!
-Lauren

KathyO
05-20-2003, 05:01 PM
I'm another one who avoids Cosco products on general principle... especially given how they have treated folks who complained of problems... deny, deny, obfuscate, blame the user, deny... issue a recall only when forced to... They have actually twice been fined heavily by the federal government for failing to report deaths and injuries related to their products...

But, as you ask, on a practical, real-life note... two of the moms in my group here have them, and both hate them. Twisty straps, harness slots top out too low to be useful for tall children, general "crappiness" of construction. I'd give it a miss if I were you. I am the queen of buying second-hand and going with hand-me-downs and doing without, but car seats are in the category of, "if it's not a good one, you'll hate it every time you use it, let alone the safety issues".

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

KathyO

ginamlee
05-20-2003, 06:21 PM
I've said this before here, but I'm a big fan of Fisher Price Safe Embrace. You can find them new in the box on eBay. We still have ours from our 3rd child and I intend to use it for our 4th when the time comes. It is a "poor man's Britax" in my opinion.

cpsadvocate
05-20-2003, 09:35 PM
I rewrote this review to where it would be more helpful to what you are specifically looking for.

The "best seat" is the one that fits your vehicle, your child (age, height, weight, needs, etc.) and that can/will be used/installed correctly for each ride every time. You should also know that child passenger safety advocates recommend the 5-point harness (no shield) and to tether the seat if possible.

I actually dealt first-hand with this issue you referred to in a later post, "Honestly after what we have read about Britax and their response to the over/under threading issue, we will NEVER purchase a Britax made car seat.". Personally, I would still buy a Marathon. However, I'd look for one with the UNDER adjuster :-)

http://www.windsorpeak.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=1841&forum=DCForumID6

I used the Cosco Alpha Omega for 6 months. I replaced it with a Roundabout which we used for three years. This child now uses the Britax Marathon which was not available back then.

The Britax Roundabout or Marathon does cost more, but you get more convenience, comfort, and safety features too. Compare this to the Cosco Alpha Omega.

The Alpha Omega can be tethered in the forward facing mode only. The Roundabout and Marathon can be tethered rear and forward facing.

The Roundabout and Marathon have high quality webbing & plastic coated tongues (plastic-coated metal pieces inserted into the buckle) for true no-twist straps! Feel and see the difference of the webbing. Also, you'll notice on the Roundabout and Marathon, the slot on the tongue the harness strap passes through does not have any extra room for the strap to fold over and twist there. On the Cosco Alpha Omega, the straps are thin. They crinkle and curl easy. Also, the slot is wide enough from top to bottom to allow the strap to fold over and twist. One would have to try to untwist it by working it back through that slot the right way or uninstall the seat and rethread the straps. With any 5-point seat, I find it works best to place the straps over the shoulders, insert each tongue into the buckle, tighten the straps, and then fasten the chest clip. I had to take extra care when doing this with the Alpha Omega.

The Roundabout and Marathon Velcro patches aid in keeping straps straight and within easy reach the next time you place your child in the seat. If you don't use that feature, the velco patch still keeps the tongue from sliding too far down the strap. No more trying to reach underneath the child to find them.

The Roundabout and Marathon's built-in lock offs replace the need for a separate H-shaped metal clip needed for some lap/shoulder belts (see vehicle owner's manual and labels on the seat belts themselves). It makes installing the seat easier and faster. Plus, one doesn't have to worry about the metal one getting left behind on a seat belt and not available when needed.

The Marathon has a push button tether strap adjuster which is really nice. Push the button to loosen. Pull the "tail" to tighten. I'm not sure if the newer Roundabouts have the push button now or not. Mine had a buckle slide (lift a tab to loosen & pull the "tail" to tighten) which is the same type Evenflo, Century, Fisher-Price, and Graco use. The Cosco Alpha Omega has two rings that you have to work the tether strap through to get the proper length. I had to adjust the tether strap to the right length first and then buckle the car seat in. This is not practical if you'll be moving the Cosco Alpha Omega back and forth between vehicles. A "tail" you can tighten after buckling the seat in makes it easier to get the tether strap tight.

EPS impact foam around the child's head and torso, plus the comfort foam in the seating area, make every ride comfortable for your child. This is similar to the material used in bicycle helmets.

The Roundabout has the easiest-to-use harness adjuster rear or forward facing. You will not be able to see that much of a difference between the Marathon with the UNDER routing when compared to the Cosco Alpha Omega. You already know to avoid purchasing a Marathon with the OVER routing :-) .

The Roundabout and Marathon have Mini-bar LATCH connectors versus LATCH connectors which look like the same type of clip used for a tether strap. Mini-bar is easier to snap in. A push button release makes it easy to remove too.

The highest harness slot on the Roundabout are 1" higher than the Cosco Alpha Omega. For the average height/weight child, this would mean he/she could use the 5-point harness about a year longer because he/she would still be under 40 lbs. The Marathon's highest harness slot is about 2.5" higher and has a max forward facing weight limit of 65 lbs. instead of 40 lbs.

You can find the Roundabout on sale for around $159. This is what the EB version of the Cosco Alpha Omega costs.

There is only about $10 difference between the MSRP of the Roundabout ($239) and the Marathon ($249). You may find these additional features of the Marathon outweigh the superior adjuster on the Roundabout. While the Marathon costs about twice the price of the Cosco Alpha Omega, it will replace the need to buy a combination seat with higher harness slots or a seat with higher harness slots and weight limit later. A child needs to be at least 4 years of age AND 40 lbs. before using a booster seat. They have a better chance of getting pretty close to that with the Roundabout versus the Alpha Omega.

Though the Cosco Alpha Omega says it can be used as a booster. Booster only seats have features that make them much better suited for that purpose. I've enclosed a special link regarding the Cosco Alpha Omega's shoulder belt guides which aren't recommended. Plus, most seats have a life expectancy of six years because plastic does breakdown over time. This seat will expire before your child outgrows the need for a booster seat. ( See 5-step test on http://www.carseat.org ). New products are coming out all the time. It is very likely you would want to another one for that reason too.

cpsadvocate
05-20-2003, 09:42 PM
You will have to copy and paste into your browser bar.

COSCO ALPHA OMEGA

http://www.coscojuvenile.com/product.asp?productID=42

The Cosco Alpha Omega has the not recommended shoulder belt guides:

http://www.consumerreports.org/main/detailv2.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id =82399

http://www.consumerreports.org/main/detailv2.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=304371&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=295617&bmUID=1049841676331

BRITAX ROUNDABOUT

http://www.britaxusa.com/products.cfm?action=ShowProduct&pro_id=6DF8B039-B6D7-4461-A597367E0C5B9295

BRITAX MARATHON

http://www.britaxusa.com/products.cfm?action=ShowProduct&pro_id=7C71C785-4FBA-422D-83DC419B3D5B8213

Mom to 4 ages 4 To Teen
http://www.geocities.com/cpsadvocate/index.html

Tondi G
05-21-2003, 05:28 PM
Check this site for a great price on a Britax Roundabout!!!

www.babylove.com

Also look for a Fisher Price Safe Embrace convertible on E-bay of you are trying to save in this dept! I have a firned with an Eddie Bauer AO and those twisty straps would drive me bonkers... her son never looks that comfortable in the seat... it was a bear for them to get it installed correctly too... I would PASS on the AO.... spend a little more money and buy the Britax(in the grand scheme of things it isn't that much more for your childs safety AND COMFORT... there is a difference) or find a FPSE!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01! Love our RA and only wish we had bought it right off the bat as we had planned!

josephsmom
05-22-2003, 12:45 PM
Flagger, we didn't think the RA was in our budget, either. After trying out many seats at BRU, and buying one RA and one Triumph, we realized that the RA is so far superior to everything else that it's worth the money. There is just no comparison in terms of ease of use. I ended up exchanging the Triumph for another RA, so now we have an RA in each car. A big investment, but one we're very happy with. Perhaps you could cut corners elsewhere. What kind of stroller did you buy (or are you planning to buy)? IMHO, the really expensive strollers are not necessary for casual use. Unless you're anticipating heavy outdoor and/or city use, perhaps you could get a less expensive stroller and apply the savings toward your car seat. Another area in which you can cut corners (although this is way down the road for you) is with baby food. It's easy to make your own, and you get better quality for less money. These are some of the tradeoffs we made. We found that you really need an expensive breast pump and an expensive car seat, but moderately priced items work fine in most other areas. Good luck; I'm eager to hear of Cocoa's arrival!

Helene
mommy to Joseph 12/29/01

flagger
05-22-2003, 02:39 PM
Well thank you for everyone's response. Honestly after what we have read about Britax and their response to the over/under threading issue, we will NEVER purchase a Britax made car seat.

All car seats in the US meet the same governmental standards for safety. We will probably consider the Graco or the Evenflo or the AO depending on what fits in our budget and in our vehicles.

Thanks for everyone for their responses. I would still like to hear from more who has used an AO themselves and their thoughts about it.

Stpatrick_Aidan
05-22-2003, 06:51 PM
Well you know, I personally would not base my opinion of a seat manufacturer off of an issue like the harness being threaded wrong, it still works. At least they fix the problem or offer a solution without having to be ordered to issue a recall unlike other companies, which shall remain nameless, that do not fix anything until ordered to do so by a court.

Shauna

josephsmom
05-23-2003, 02:12 PM
Sorry, Flagger. I guess the reason I (and probably others) responded by encouraging you to go with Britax was that you opened by saying Britax wasn't in your budget, and that you'd registered for one. So I (we?) thought you wanted one. That aside, please also consider the following. If you really want to avoid buying from a company that responds poorly to problems, then you would probably do better with Evenflo or Graco (or just about anyone) instead of Cosco. Just my two cents. More importantly, Happy Due Date!!!!!!!!

Helene
mommy to Joseph 12/29/01

flagger
05-23-2003, 04:29 PM
I am sorry that I didn't make it clear in this post. We registered for the Alpha Omega not the Britax RA.

Sorry for the confusion.

liya
05-23-2003, 10:16 PM
Hey flagger just spoke to my friend about the AO she says its the black one i believe this ones the one your talking about...I asked her because they gave me as a shower gift an EB so i wanted to know first hand how good it was...I quote "aside from the belts getting all tangeled up the seat is great, my baby loves it and i love the fact i can recline and hes not able to squirm of because of it,hes 9 mo old, but i really like the seat and have had no problems with it what so ever aside from what i just told you...Its not that hard you just untangle them and your set..." it kindda put me at ease but i think i would rather buy a graco i saw it and it really looks more plush and comfy plus its cheaper too and with the extra cash i can get another conv one thats around $40-50 for our second car which hes hardly ever in....hope this helps

AngelaS
05-24-2003, 06:31 AM
I haven't specifically used the AO, but I have an EB High back booster. I hate it. I looked at the straps on the AO when it came on the market and they were identical. The reason I hate my EB seat is because of the straps. They twist and tangle and make using the seat a total PITA!

I have a FPSE that I bought with dd #1. I LOVE it. It is a bit of a poor man's Britax but it's so plush, so comfy and the straps NEVER twist!

My second pick of seats would be by Graco. They seem to have the third best straps following Britax and FP.

I agree that Cosco has HORRID CS and the way the do recalls (only when forced and fined big $$$) turns me COMPLETELY off to them. You say you'll never buy Britax---I'll never by or recommend anything Cosco! LOL

estrellamountain
05-28-2003, 01:29 PM
The twisty straps on the AO drove me nuts, AND they are a major safety hazard. The cover is next to impossible to remove for washing ... you need the manual and tools. My daughter never seemed comfortable in the seat, and for some reason I could never get a snug enough fit for my comfort level. The seat wiggled too much. Then the chest clip broke, and I had enough.

I found a seller on Ebay that was offering a brand new Roundabout, placed my maximum bid, and was incredibly surprised to have won it for about $120! After using the Roundabout for several months now, I have to say that I wish we had never spent the money on the AO ... I wish we had gone straight for the Roundabout (or even the Safe Embrace, which we considered - but could not find). The tether strap and seat belt lock off clip makes a world of difference in how snugly the seat is installed - the thing just doesn't budge at all! The foam padding (which the AO does not have) not only makes the seat more comfy, but it is shock absorbing, so I feel better about having my daughter in this seat. The belly pad is AWESOME in our Arizona heat, and we love the ability to easily adjust harness tightness each time we use the seat - makes getting in and out much easier. The cover easily removes for washing. I just can't say enough good things about this seat! But what really did it for me ... the first time Emily used this seat was on a 4 hour trip to my Mom's house. In her AO, the most she would sleep on this 4 hour trip was 1/2 hour - and she would wake up fussing and wanting out of her seat. On this trip, in her new RA, she slept for TWO HOURS straight, and we didn't even notice when she woke up because she woke up happy and just stared out the window. She seems to like the seat better.

We have another RA that my 10 month old son uses. He really could not stand his infant carrier (Fisher PRice Stay In View), and seemed much happier once we put him in the RA. The tether is awesome for rear facing - it actually makes me a little regretful remembering how wiggly my daughter's AO was in rear facing mode.

If I could not find a great deal on a Roundabout, I would probably go with the Evenflo seat, simply because of the high ratings on COnsumer Reports and elsewhere, and because it (like the RA) has shock absorbing foam - which is an important safety feature to our family.

Hopefully this helped a little ... this is a really tough decision! I remember what led me to the AO was the thought that even though I *wanted* the RA, this seat was about $70 cheaper than the RA at the time, and $70 is $70 to spend on other things. As it turned out, I actually wasted $120 on the AO that I could have spent on something else. Best,

Jennifer