PDA

View Full Version : Infant Car Seat or a Convertible

CherieWebber
06-04-2003, 09:17 AM
I am becoming confused with all the information on baby products. Do I have to buy an infant car seat if I buy a convertible car seat? Another question, will a Britax RA fit into the Combi Ultra SavvyZ stroller. I am having my first child in October, and I feel overwhelmed trying to make the best decisions on products.

Thank you!

CPSDarren
06-04-2003, 09:23 AM
Many parents use a convertible from birth. Some convertibles fit newborns well, though others don't. Rear-facing, a convertible is as safe as an infant seat. It also saves the money of purchasing a carrier that will only be used from 6-12 months or so. On the other hand, a convertible does not have a base/carrier system, so it can't easily be removed or put into a stroller. So, while the Roundabout is a very nice convertible, like all convertibles it does not fit into a stroller.

If you want the convenience of detachable bases and stroller use, you really need an infant carrier model. Perhaps someone can advise you if any fit your stroller.

I hope that helps!

Darren
www.Car-Safety.Org

CherieWebber
06-04-2003, 09:38 AM
Thank you for the quick reply! I did not realize this! You have been a great help.

Rachels
06-04-2003, 10:45 AM
I remember that confusion! We can DEFINITELY help you pick a carseat and stroller! Let us know if you have questions, and we'll try to advise. It gets easier, I promise! Congratulations on your pregnancy.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

CherieWebber
06-04-2003, 01:30 PM
Here is what I am thinking...Graco snug ride infant car seat, and the Combi Ultra Savvy stroller? For a convertible later on, I had thought I would get the Britax RA, but after reading the mesage board I am not sure. I am due in late October, and live in Michigan. I am not sure how much I will use a stroller initially as the weather will be cold. My other thought is whether or not to get the Peg Aria?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Rachels
06-08-2003, 10:43 AM
Sorry, I meant to get back to you on this sooner! Honestly, if you don't think you'll be doing tons of stroller usage in the beginning, I'd get the Snugride and either a Snap 'n Go or a Kolcraft Universal Carseat Carrier. (I had the Kolcraft myself, and it's FABULOUS.) That will give you some time to figure out what your stroller needs truly are before you plunk down money on a really good one. I think lots of us have found that we would have made different choices if we had waited until after our babies were born to buy strollers. So much depends on how you actually spend time with your baby, and then other factors like whether you have a large or small baby, whether you're trying to use your stroller indoors or outdoors or both, etc. If you can hold off, you'll find that you wind up with a stroller you like better.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

r howard
06-11-2003, 01:05 PM
I share your confusion! I'm also due in October and am starting to make these decisions. I have come to the same conclusion that you have: I'm leaning toward the Snug Ride, to use with the Kolcraft Universal carrier, then to the Combi Savvy (probably the Soho). I live in North Carolina, so I'm dealing with a milder climate and I think that combination should meet our needs. I'm just trying to keep in mind, as the last person noted, that not all decisions need to be made right now. The most important thing is getting a great infant seat and a compatible stroller.

Speaking of which, has anyone had any experience with the Combi car seat? It was too new for a review in the Baby Bargains book and I'm wondering if anyone has purchased one!

Thanks!!