PDA

View Full Version : Why not get Marathon over RA since Marathon has higher weight limit?

LucyG
06-26-2003, 03:48 PM
I am researching our next car seat, and I'm wondering why you would not go ahead and get the Marathon over the RA, since the Marathon has a higher weight limit. Our DD is petite, so I'm thinking we could use the Marathon for three or four years. Also, where does the Wizard figure in with the Marathon and RA? If we won't need the seat for another three or four months at least (DD is 12 lbs. at 4 months old), will newer models come out between now and then? In other words, would I be better off waiting to get the seat, or bargain hunting now?

Thanks!

Joolsplus2
06-26-2003, 06:07 PM
Actually, if she stays petite, you will get 4-5 years out of the Roundabout, and easily the full 6 years out of the Marathon (maybe longer, but britax and most other seats "expire" after 6 years due to changes in regulations, testing, sticker requirements, and possibly plastic breakdown).
Here's a picture of a rather large boy who fits in the Marathon (second picture down and lower) http://pages.ivillage.com/momika/carseatphotos/id24.html
You might get to rearface her longer if you get a Marathonor Wizard, though, and extended rearfacing is a very safe way to travel until a child reaches the maximum rearfacing limits of the seat http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx
There are some bargains on the Marathon now, but I think I would wait awhile for the Wizard...it's in production now, will be on store shelves pretty soon, and has enhanced side impact protection and a dial-a-height harness adjuster, that will make it about $50 more than the Marathon, but will probably be worth it, if you can afford it).
Hope that helps,

kransden
06-27-2003, 08:40 AM
Why I decided on the RA and Galaxy. The seats were on sale 179.00 including shipping. That is about $100 less than the Marathon. I figured by the time dd outgrew the RAs, I might have a different car, the car seat technology would be better, and I would have to buy a new cover ($40-$80) anyway. Also some of my family is very tall. So will she be a huge kid or average size?

Karin
Katie 10/24/02

stillplayswithbarbies
06-27-2003, 01:42 PM
Those are the same reasons I went with the Roundabout over the Marathon. I'm glad I did after reading about all the problems people are having with their Marathons.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Joolsplus2
06-27-2003, 01:54 PM
Britax has at least admitted their SNAFU...all seats are now routed the proper way and there are no problems with it anymore (phew!) (and, due to popular demand, they DO listen, at the parentsplace carseat board, britax also has the cowmooflage cover for only $28 for the MA...sort of an atonement for their earlier sin, lol)