PDA

View Full Version : New car seats with LATCH-compatible car?

lmintzer
06-30-2003, 10:22 PM
Hi. I am a mom to a 2 year-old and am due in Dec. with my second. We are thinking of buying a larger car to accomodate an additional child and all the accompanying gear (we're thinking maybe the Subaru Outback). Since the new Outback will be LATCH compatible, I'm trying to decide what to do about car seats.

Currently, we have an Eventflo On My Way Position Right VXL (which I know Alan and Denise didn't love, but we liked the orientation of the handle and the thick cushioning on the seat) and two Britax Roundabouts (one in our nanny's car and one in ours).

Do you think we should ditch all of these seats (or at least relegate them to Grandma and Grandpa's cars) and get new, LATCH seats? If so, would you go with a Graco Snugride this time around? And which Britax? There are more choices than ever now. My 2 year-old (26 months) is not a huge child--his height and weight are roughly 25% (28 lbs., 33-34 inches), so I don't see him growing out of a Roundabout too quickly. But still--thought I'd get some input here about what to do. One other question--is it possible to get retrofit kits for the Roundabout?

TIA for any suggestions.

Lisa
& Jack, age 2
& little bundle, e.d.d. Dec. '03

sbaker
06-30-2003, 10:49 PM
When DH bought me a new Tahoe I sold our non-latch Roundabout on Ebay and bought a Marathon with latch. When I installed the Marathon I was truly amazed at how easy it was. We still have a Roundabout in DH's car. If a Marathon would fit in DH's car I would sell his Roundabout and buy another Marathon. DS really, really prefers the Marathon over the Roundabout.

I used a SnugRide with DS and really liked it. It doesn't have Latch attachments. Now that we are expecting #2 I will probably buy a new SnugRide with Latch. I will put the old base in DH's or Grandma's car.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you can afford a new car seats for your new car I would buy them. But as my husband says I'm "spendy" and really like to buy baby gear. HTH.

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to Rayce 02/09/02
Baby #2 due 01/05/04

wendmatt
07-01-2003, 01:32 AM
I just got the roundabout with latch but don't have latch in my car! It fits really well with the seatbelts so I wouldn't get a new seat unless you need one. Although if you want to put them in the grandparents it's always nice to get new if you can afford it! I think it's easier to swap around with latch but if they are going to stay in the car I wouldn't worry, the seatbelts keep it really tight.If you are familiar with how they work with the seatbelts you don't HAVE to change to latch. Apparently they are just as safe either way, just easier to use with latch.
I had the snugride and loved it but my car is small so got the roundabout instead of marathon.I do love it though and have just ordered another for dhs car. The wizard is coming soon so there's another choice for you!
Not sure if that'll be any help!
Wendy (Emilys mum.11/21/02)