PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep your backseat organized??

TLC1994
07-11-2003, 04:30 PM
Just curious how others keep their backseats organized with all the toys, books, etc. they've got for their child/children. Currently I've got everything in a backpack that just stays in the car, however it's not really convenient for getting things in and out of - especially for my daughter & after a few car trips, everything is sprawled all over the backseat! Any suggestions? If I recall, isn't there some product out there that's supposed to sit next to the car seat to hold toys and possibly even a sippy cup?

Thanks for the advice!

JenaW
07-13-2003, 02:53 PM
A friend of mine uses a large plastic container to keep things in. She has two - one thar has books/games etc. and one with "extras" - i.e. diapers, change of clothes, can of formula, etc in case the dipaer bag is forgotten/empty. I have also seen "catch-alls" that fit over the back of one of the front seats, but I don't know how much you could fit in these. I don't know about a sippy cup holder though. One step Ahead may have something like that. Check out their website if you don't get their catalogs.

~Jera

lukkykatt
07-13-2003, 09:58 PM
I have a toy container made by FP that I keep in my back seat. I really like it alot. It is cube-shaped and made of a stiff material. It has a main compartment, and then a few smaller pockets on the sides. It also has a loop with velcro, so you can attach the toybox to one of your seat belts, so that it will stay put. The top also shuts with velcro, to help keep things inside while the car is moving.

I've seen them at Zainy Brainy, but also at Ross and Marshalls, for much less money.

TLC1994
07-14-2003, 08:11 AM
Thanks! I took a look at the item you referred to at the Zany Brainy website: http://www.zanybrainy.com/global/store/product_detail.cfm?TID=46255619083446200314079130&Site=Toys&rs_section=keywordsearch&GroupID=158974&GroupTP=Model

and although it wasn't the exact one I was thinking of, it's certainly a consideration. I have to run to Marshalls anyway today so I'll take a look.

After some further investigating, I also found the one I had seen before on Amazon.com, unfortunately it's been discontinued, but I still may be able to find it somewhere else (although the reviews aren't very positive). Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005YXWH/ref=ase_inktomi-babyasin-20/002-3795784-3312056?v=glance&s=baby

Maybe I'll just have to rig up something of my own - like a Rubbermaid storage box or the like. It would just be nice for my daughter to be able to reach the toys herself instead of me having to reach back while I'm driving.

Thanks again for all the help!

MinnieMouse
07-14-2003, 10:41 AM
Something to consider when you place ANYTHING unrestrained in your car is what will happen to it in an accident. This also includes roller sun shades and rear view mirrors for rfing children. Each item should be thought of as a possible projectile in an accident. As a rough guideline, take the weight of the object and multiply it by the speed that you would be traveling at....and that would be for force of the object hitting your child. Something as small as a typical cell phone could seriously injure your child.

This was something that was quite eye opening in my recent class to become a certified child seat technician. We only have dd bring a small soft toy with her in the car. For longer rides I keep some things in her diaper bag. Dh and I have been discussing storage issues. We don't have ANYTHING on the back floor anymore and only keep a small cd case under the front seat. We are seriously considering the Fisher Price storage container for both cars, but I think I'll sew the velcro seat belt "loop" closed as I don't think the velcro would hold in an accident.

I don't want to scare anyone, but it is something to think about.

Christine

sophiesmom
07-14-2003, 09:40 PM
I agree with Christine. I don't give DD any hard toys to take in the car (stickers are a favorite). I heard too that things like mirrors and rollershades can be dangerous in a crash. I wouldn't feel comfortable having plastic containers in the back seat of the car.

Stephanie

Sophia 8/4/01
Anthony 5/11/03

muskiesusan
07-15-2003, 07:13 AM
I recently organized my car b/c I couldn't stand the clutter anymore. I got a couple of items from the automotive section of Target (ours has two sections in different parts of the store, a larger one and the smaller one, they have some of the same items, but the smaller section seems to be cheaper?). One is a small, black, fabric organizer that fits perfectly next to his carseat. It has a strap to secure it (I linked it to a seatbelt). It has a few compartments and pockets, and even a place that would secure a drink. I use it just for his toys now, which all tend to be on the small side and it is perfect.

For the back of the SUV, I bought a large duffle like item to keep my spare diapering items, clothes, etc in. It has velcro on the bottom to help secure it to the floor, and has a zip top.

I was surprised by the number of organizers available for autos, they have many different sizes.

One week into be organized and I am loving both of these items!

Susan
WAHM to Nicholas 10/01/01

TLC1994
07-15-2003, 08:03 AM
Don't worry anyone - there are no plastic containers in my backseat! :P I was just thinking outloud I guess and obviously hadn't thought it all the way through. But I do appreciate your suggestions.

I haven't looked at the automotive sections of stores yet - only the baby section - so what I've seen has been limited. Next time I'm at Target I'll take a look at what they've got. Quick question - how easy is it to remove the storage container next to the car seat in case someone will be riding in the backseat with us? We have a small car, so space is a definite issue. Seems like it would be pretty easy, eh?

Thanks again!!

muskiesusan
07-15-2003, 08:12 AM
Mine is very easy to remove, I have already done it several times! I can't think of what these types of plastic clips are called, but it is secured with the same sort of belt a safety strap in a highchair, stroller, etc. where you press to release, kwim?

Susan
WAHM to Nicholas 10/01/01