PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone taken a Graco UltraCargo on a plane?

my2boys44
07-15-2003, 11:21 PM
We just bought an UltraCargo and a Platinum Cargo for our 2 1/2 y.o. DS. He's currently in a Britax RA and FPSE in our cars, but his not so little brother will be growing out of his infant seat fairly soon, so we decided to get some booster seats now. (We have 3 cars to outfit, so we were going to get a Marathon for our Suburban which we take on longer trips). Anyway, we got the Graco's out of the boxes tonight and noticed that there's no real back to the seat, so the seatbelt goes right behind the child's back under the padding. Doesn't that mean that on the plane the buckle will be sitting right in his back? We're going on a cross-country trip this weekend and were planning to take the UltraCargo since it's the lightest seat to drag around. But not if he's going to be miserable the whole flight! Any advice? Thanks!

dubbogod
07-20-2003, 07:54 PM
We took this seat last year with us on an overseas trip to Australia. We did notice that the seatbelt was almost at our son's back but by twisting it we were able to minimize the bump. I have to say that our son didn't seem to notice it much. We did find it hard to get the airplane seat belt very tight and had to really struggle to get it right. Often the airline attendants are really great at helping out (but then again some are absolutely useless!) It was great to have such a light seat to cart around, and even though it was an 18 hour flight, both our sons used the seats on the flight (the 4 yr old for part of the time and the 1 year old for part of the time) and neither complained. Hope this helps somewhat.

my2boys44
07-20-2003, 10:51 PM
Thanks. We actually just flew cross-country with it last night. DS did notice the buckle on the 1st flight, so we tried to move it off to the side a bit on the next segments (without leaving too much slack in the seatbelt). What a dumb design for these convertible boosters, don't you think? Everyone says they're all made like that, I wonder why they're not made like the regular convertible seats. On our return flight, I may try twisting it like you said. Thanks for the input!