PDA

View Full Version : 4 month old in RF Marathon? FP Safe Embrace & Britax Marathon

4S Ranch
07-24-2003, 01:34 AM
I have a 4 month old baby who is currently in her older sister's hand me down carseat - a Century SmartFit Plus 22V. Since we've had to move it to behind the passenger seat instead of the center in my '96 Toyota Camry, the base, even with a locking clip, doesn't stay tight enough. I'd like to get a new seat, and I'm thinking about the Britax Marathon.

Is the 4 month old too young to be in a RF Britax Marathon? She's 25 inches long and weighs 13 lbs, 9 oz.

Also, if my 3 year old is FF behind the driver's seat and tethered at the back anchor, can I tether the Britax to the same anchor?

My 3 year old is in a FF, tethered, Fisher Price Safe Embrace (FPSE). Her grandfather has a FF Britax Marathon in his car, and she hates it! She cries the whole time she's in it, complaining that it's too tight (I assume because of the strap covers). She also can't sleep as comfortably as in the FPSE. The FPSE is good until 40 pounds. Is there something else comparable, or should I just get a Marathon and hope she'll adjust (I want to get a second carseat for my husband's car)?

Thanks for any help!

Shelly

lizajane
07-24-2003, 12:11 PM
my 4 month old is in a marathon. of course, he is the size of a 9 month old. but as for head/neck control, etc. our 4 month olds should be similar...

he is fine in it. when he sleeps, we sometimes put two rolled up cloth diapers on either size of his head to be sure it doesn't flop over too far. i don't think that is too inconvienient. and he doesn't always need them.

hth

liza

kohlbacher
07-24-2003, 02:48 PM
Good question!
Our 10 week old is currently in the Century Smart Fit Plus - but he's VERY tall, so we're starting to shop for a Britax Marathon on sale. I didn't even think about his head. (At his two month appt. he was over 15lbs and 25.5 inches already!) Does anyone have any comments on using this seat for babies even younger than 4 months??

Joolsplus2
07-24-2003, 03:24 PM
At least one mom here had one for her newborn and has been quite happy with it...frankly, if the seat is labeled for 5 pounds and up, im inclined to believe it's perfectly safe for newborns...and certainly just fine for big 10 week olds :)

mama2be
07-24-2003, 05:22 PM
Tristan was in his Marathon 9 hours after being born...on his way home form the hospital...I have not regretted the purchase EVER!!!!

ecarley
07-28-2003, 02:11 PM
The others have covered the Marathon and infant issue, so I'll skip that.

as far as the tether, no you cannot use the same achor for both seats. And the RF marathon can't use the tether on the back of the car, it would have to be somewhere near the floor. I believe Britax provides a strap that lets you attach the tether to one of the front seat anchors.

Are the shoulder straps at the right height for your daughter? Is the person putting her in adjusting it too tight, or are they not adjusting it at all? Give the person using it a quick refresher.