PDA

View Full Version : cars that fit 3 seats across?

lisalie
07-24-2003, 03:16 PM
We're just beginning the search for a new SUV or station wagon. For the occasional roadtrip (which aren't so occasional for us) we want something that will accomodate three car seats (likely variations of booster/carseat) across the backseat. We don't want to have to put one of the seats in a third-row bench because we have dogs who need the cargo space. Can anyone recommend a vehicle? I am sure the Suburban will be mentioned, but would like to examine a few other options as well...

murphydog77
07-24-2003, 10:10 PM
I think you can get 3 across in a Ford Expedition easily and a Toyota Sequoia and Highlander. While I've never had to fit 3 across, I would think that a mid-size SUV would do just fine. Be sure to read the owner's manual for each vehicle, though, and make sure that the manufacturer doesn't have a problem with 3 car seats across. Also, take your seats and try them out in the vehicle--it may be easier to install them in one SUV vs. another. What about a minivan? I said a few years back that I would never drive one and when my first child was born, dh and I both panicked and bought a Sienna. We love it!

I don't know of any current station wagons that would do it *comfortably*. You could try one of those monstrosities that Chevy had out about 10 years ago that are as big as my first apartment ;).

Heather, CPS Tech
http://www.carseatsite.com

mom2kandj
07-25-2003, 12:17 AM
Believe it or not, DH and I squeezed in two Century Accels and a Century Breverra in the back seat of a DH's company car - 2002 Taurus and three adults in the front seat! LOL! It wasn't a long drive and nothing we would do again...ever, but it did work. That being said, I imagine that you'd be able to do the three carseats in a Taurus wagon. The Taurus also is latch compatible and in the sedan has all three anchors for both latch and top anchor. It also has three point seatbelts(no lap belts only) for all three seats. I'm not a big Taurus fan, but it is pretty carseat friendly. I don't know if this will help...

Rose
mom 2 Katie (31 months)
& Jack (15 months)

caroliner
07-25-2003, 03:27 PM
Probably not big enough for you since you have the dogs, but the Saturn Vue has space and latch for 3 across. I just bought one, but hope I never have to put 3 in and dogs!!!

nitaghei
07-25-2003, 04:17 PM
The Toyota Sienna and one of the Lexus SUVs - not sure which one. A friend of mine can fit 3 kids in car seats, and 3 dogs (Siberian Husky and Sibe mixes) into the Lexus.

FWIW - the Subaru Forrester does NOT take 3 seats.

Otherwise, the Suburban is great!! :) We just got one, even though we have only one baby and 2 dogs. We can fit the dogs' crates without removing the third seat. Awesome!! We got the Suburban sort of hoping that we'll have another baby, and possibly get another dog.

Nita

Tondi G
07-25-2003, 06:28 PM
I know a friend of my neighbor had her 3 seats across the seat in a Chevy Tahoe... and her Toyota Landcruiser! The Suburban would definetly work! The Ford Expedition would probably work just fine as well!

I know my Bradley Childbirth instructor had 3 car seats across her Toyota Camry so it can be done in a sedan as well.... they bought a minivan when #4 was on the way!!!!

I'd bet you could get 3 across in a volvo stationwagon too!

Good Luck.... we had the same thoughts when buying our SUV.... we had 3 dogs when DS was born.... bummer we can't do three across in the Durango... but I assume we'll be buying another SUV or minivan when/if we end up with 3 kiddos!!!! HTHs

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01

mama2be
07-25-2003, 06:31 PM
Nita...do you know if your friends Lexus fits 3 convertibles in one row...I have a marathon now and want #2 to be a marathon beside him. I wonder if a thrid one would fit too (IF....)

We also have three dogs so have to leave that last row of seats out...

gayletmom
07-25-2003, 08:38 PM
I have 3 seats across (a RoundAbout, a Roadster booster and another Britax booster-the name escapes me) in the second seat of my Acura MDX. It was an expensive SUV but I just love it. It drives like and Acura sedan, gets good gas mileage for an SUV, great reviews from Consumer Reports and has those fab seats in the rear that fold into the floor. I usually leave the two third row seats folded down and love that it is so easy to pull one or both up when I have an extra person in the car. Highly recommed it!

gtcmom

mama2be
07-25-2003, 09:18 PM
The Acura MDX just got beautiful kudos in our paper...TOP NOTCH!!!!

Of course that didn't suprise me at all...we're a Honda, Acura...Lexus family!!!! :)...

Susann
07-25-2003, 11:25 PM
I have an Acura MDX. The seat behind the driver is FF Marathon, in the middle Star Riser Comfy and behind the passanger side seat I have a ExpressWay (a Roundabout would fit as well).
The only "problem" is the booster in the middle, because all the boosters nowadays have the armrests that make it more difficult to fit in and to buckle up. For example the Turbo Booster by Graco does not fit between the two car seats.
I have also used a combination of either Marathon or Roundabout and any kind of two booster seats. That works well, too.

Susann

JP4
07-26-2003, 05:37 PM
Just make sure that you check your vehicle's instruction manual about car seats. My minivan does NOT allow 3 car seats to be used with LATCH in the 3rd row bench seats. I guess it would be possible to use LATCH on the 2 outside positions and then use the seatbelts in the middle. I don't know what you'd do if one child needs to be in a belt positioning booster since the middle seats of many cars, vans and SUV's still don't have shoulder straps.

lizajane
07-26-2003, 10:48 PM
we just checked out a used vw passat wagon that is currently owned by a family who used it with 3 seats for a year. so i know that they had to all fit!! and nice space in the back for dogs. that is why were are looking at it! only one car seat, but two dogs.

cheyennemom
07-27-2003, 11:37 PM
We have a Subaru Legacy Outback, with three car seats across the back. (Britax Super Elite, Roundabout and Booster) The Super Elite and Booster are tethered to the back and the Roundabout faces the rear and is tethered toward the front of the car, which had to installed. HTH

gravymommy3
07-28-2003, 11:00 AM
We have a Sequoia and cannot fit three across, BUT two of them are mini-LazyBoys (aka Huskys!) and one is a rear-facing Marathon. If you were trying to put normal carseats (not the LazyBoys) it would prob. work! Good luck