PDA

View Full Version : flying with a car seat

mom2ethan
07-24-2003, 04:13 PM
Hi,

In a few weeks my husband and I will be flying cross-country with our 6 month old son. We have purchased a seat on the plane for him and will be taking his car seat (a Britax Marathon) on with us. My question is, how do we lug that huge seat through the airport? I thought about getting one of those fold-up luggage carts and strapping it to that, but I'm not sure how well that would work. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Susan
and Ethan (1/22/03)

Joolsplus2
07-24-2003, 07:21 PM
I think people have had some luck with the samsonite micro mover...i used an el-cheapo luggage cart and it worked with my evenflo comet, but didn't work at all with my MA...so it's hard to tell what'll be good and what will just be a dud...ummm...get a couple different ones from a place with a good return policy and try them out at home? I'm pretty sure the micro mover works with the MA, though.
OR...shorten the tether strap to a comfortable length and use it as a shoulder strap....or see if it can balance on your stroller somehow (safely, of course!)...
:)

stillplayswithbarbies
07-25-2003, 09:48 AM
Several companies make a bag for the carseat that has backpack straps on it to carry it with.

That wouldn't work for me since I would have the diaper bag or my computer backpack on my back, but it might work for you.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Zansu
07-25-2003, 10:40 AM
We either use the stroller to carry the carseat -- an RA -- or use the straps to carry the carseat backpack-style or just over the shoulder.

HTH

mom2ethan
07-25-2003, 03:58 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll try them out and see what works best!

Susan

srlarsen
07-26-2003, 08:45 AM
We have a Roundabout and a Combi Convenience stroller. I put the baby in the stroller, diaper bag in the basket and balance the car seat on top of the stroller's canopy and handle. It sounds crazy but works great. If Cooper has fallen asleep on the plane and we have a layover, we have even carried him off the plane still strapped in the car seat and then we set the car seat in the stroller, in the semi-reclined position. It fits very well this way if you can believe it! Or, you can put your baby in a sling or front-pack carrier and put the car seat in your stroller seat. I would highly recommend taking your stroller, if only to throw your carry-on luggage into it as you run through the terminal to catch your next flight!

I have also seen parents loosen the harness straps all the way out and use the straps as a backpack. I tried that once, but it was very uncomfortable.

The biggest pain will be going through security - you'll have to collapse your stroller, put your car seat through the belt, etc, etc. I've even had them pat down my baby because we set the security alarm off (overalls are bad!). It's crazy, but once you get past security, it gets better! You can gate-check your stroller, just ask the gate agent for a tag.

You'll be so glad you purchased a seat for your baby - he can sleep on the flight and you will just feel better knowing he's strapped in!

Good luck!