PDA

View Full Version : Car Seat to fit Saab 9-3 Convertible

wj2075
07-28-2003, 09:27 AM
I just bought the Graco SnugRide infant car seat and it does not fit well in our Saab 9-3 convertible. The problem is that there is no center position, so we must place the seat on the passenger side. It fits in width, but we have to push the passenger seat so far forward that passenger's knees hit the dashboard. Any suggestions for both infant and convertible car seats? Thank you, Jennifer

Momof3Labs
07-28-2003, 07:41 PM
You can go to BRU and try different seats to see if they work, and find a car seat tech to help you fit the seat in the car. But if you have that problem with the SnugRide, you will probably have a problem with all car seats - convertibles are worse than infant seats because they are bigger (but they can be installed more upright when your baby gets a bit older). Sorry - but you might only be able to transport short people in the front for a while.

Did you check the compatibility database, by chance? www.carseatdata.org

deenass
07-28-2003, 08:03 PM
We have a Saab 900 and a Snugride ... we have had to put our carseat on the passenger side because it doesn't fit in the middle (my husband is 6'3"). The way we work around it is to put the handle all the way down (instead of in the "middle" position). This was the car seat tech's suggestion. I do have to have the seat all the way up for the seat to go in and come out, but I can slide it back some once it's in the car. If you need more info that that, feel free to email me at deenas-s @ comcast.net (no spaces inbetween).

hilltop
07-29-2003, 08:24 AM
I went throught the same thing with my Saab 9-3. It is very disheartening to find that you may not be able to fit a passenger with even remote comfort in your passenger seat with most of the infant carriers out there.

But I did a lot of research and ended up buying the BabyTrend infant carrier. It is a little more narrow than the Graco, so it fit in the bucket seat, and the base and carrier are not as deep as others. My passenger seat is less than an inch further forward than the drivers seat(and I drive with the seat as far back as it goes. The other advantage with this seat in the Saab is that the carrier release is at the foot of the seat, which mean that you don't have to put the front seat forward to release the carrier. (If you only have 2 doors, however, I am not sure if this is a help or hinder.)

Other things that I like about this carrier are the triangular handle (which has been I lifesaver for me and my weak wrists), it is lighter weight than the Graco (less than 8 pounds), and the rigid latch. The rigid latch takes some brute strength to install, but once you have it attached, the base does not move at all. (This feature, while I think it makes the seat very safe, does make it very difficult to get the proper angle in deep bucket seats - like those in the Saab.)

All that being said, I am very happy with the BabyTrend carrier. My son is now 5.5 months old and still fits comfortably - even with his broad shoulders. And I can still carry him around in it at 18 pounds - not far, but I can at least get him in and out of the house and onto the stroller or a shopping cart. (And it fits in every cart I have tried.)

Hope this info helps.

Lori
Mother of Zane 2/12/03