PDA

View Full Version : Century Car Seat in Hertz Rental Car?

gatorgal99
07-31-2003, 10:52 AM
Has anyone rented a car & car seat from Hertz? I called Hertz and they say they use Century car seats, which they install. I think it would be easier for me to rent the car seat, for my then 8 week old, then to bring my Snug Ride on the plane & install in the car. I'm worried though about who installs these seats and whether it's a good seat.

stillplayswithbarbies
07-31-2003, 11:26 AM
I say bring the Snugride. You can use it on the plane and then in the rental car. That way you know baby fits in it and is comfy, and you know you installed it yourself and it is right.

Can an 8 week old even fit in whichever Century they provide? You won't know until you get it and then what if it isn't a convertible type or what if the lowest harness straps are still too high? (and wouldn't you have to un-install it to adjust the straps to the right level anyway?)

I've traveled by plane with my baby twice so far, (and am about to do it again tomorrow) and love the convenience of the infant seat. I'll miss it when she outgrows it.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Joolsplus2
07-31-2003, 11:33 AM
I'd bring the SnugRide...Rental seats are NASTY...trust me...plus, you never know if they've been in an accident, too, and their safety is compromised...Just read your snugride manual and practice installing it in your own car a couple times (remember, you don't need the base, and it's actually pretty easy to install without it if you don't want to bother lugging it along) so you'll be ready when you get there (and of course bring the manual for reference).
good luck :)

mom2kandj
07-31-2003, 11:56 AM
I rented from Enterprise and used one of their seats! NEVER AGAIN! The guy who brought out the car(we were at the train station) was a kid who is just paid to pick people up and who had no clue as to how the carseat was to be installed! The seat did not have directions in or on it and the car we rented did not have locking seatbelts. If I didn't randomly have my own extra locking clip in my purse, I wouldn't have even put my DD in the car! I now carry that extra locking clip all the time in my purse and have put all directions for my carseats in a baggie taped to the seat. We also now take our own carseats everywhere because you just don't know the history of rental carseats. As for the SnugRide, I say take it with you and don't use the base. IMO it has a tighter fit and is quicker to install when used with the seatbelt alone. Also, you have somewhere to put your baby at all times! Just my 2 cents!

Rose
mom 2 Katie (31 months)
& Jack (15 months)

sbaker
07-31-2003, 12:30 PM
I have rented from Hertz and used their Century car seat. The car seat they gave me was brand new. They had to take it out of the box to install it. However they didn't have a pool noodle or anything to put under the seat to make it recline at the correct angle. Other than that it was a good experience.

I would recommend that you take your Snugride though. It is a pain to lug thru the airport and onto a plane, but your baby will be much happier in his/her own carseat. We just got back from a trip to Florida. We took our Marathon with us. I was amazed at how much happier DS was flying and riding in his own carseat. I wouldn't hesitate again to travel with it.

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to Rayce 02/09/02
Baby #2 due 01/05/04

Momof3Labs
07-31-2003, 01:39 PM
And what if you get there and they don't have the car seat? The car rental companies reserve a car seat for you, but they don't guarantee one. If they don't actually have one when you get there, you would be stranded at the airport - not a good way to start a vacation!

I definitely vote for bringing your own car seat (and using it on the plane - much safer than traveling as a lap baby).

kohlbacher
08-01-2003, 10:54 AM
Though I agree bringing your own seat may make it easier, I do think the Century Smart Fit Plus is a great seat. If you do decide to get the seat, ask them some more questions - like how often used, type of seat, who installs it, etc.